AMERICA/PERU - Solidarity and sobriety: the solution to the crisis
Huancayo (Agenzia Fides) – The solution to the economic crisis is greater solidarity and greater sobriety of life style: this was said by the Catholic Archbishop of Huancayo, Archbishop Mons. Pedro Barreto Jimeno SJ, at a conference organised in Canada, by the Catholic Agency for Development Peace “Agenzia Dessarrollo y Paz”, promoted by the Catholic Bishops’ Conference of Canada. The Agency supports various solidarity and cooperation run by the Catholic Church in Latin America, in Africa and in Asia.
The title of the Conference was: “Development and Peace: the greater the crisis, the greater the solidarity”. Fides was informed by the Catholic Bishops’ Conference of Peru that the Archbishop said when there is talk of a crisis, at any level, we are afraid, “very often we panic and in the confusion, we forget to think about others ”.
Archbishop Barreto explained: “In the face of the economic crisis, the Catholic Church in her teaching proposes a life of more sobriety and austerity. We must learn to do without the superfluous, and live with more sobriety, sharing with others who we are and what we have. This is what Christ is calling us to do in this Season of Lent: Jesus calls us to convert ourselves, to change, and to live out Christian charity which is a witness of the authenticity of our faith”. (CE) (Agenzia Fides, 23/02/2013)
- 2015-11-24 - Preparations are underway for the beatification of the first missionary martyrs of Peru
- 2015-11-16 - Each year leukemia affects the health of 1,200 poor children
- 2015-11-10 - More than 3,000 participants at the III National Missionary Congress: to relaunch the missionary parish
- 2015-11-07 - The program for the beatification of three priests killed in 1991 by the Shining Path presented to Parliament
- 2015-10-30 - Annual report on Indigenous women and girls: victims of violence, atrocities and humiliations
- 2015-10-19 - Share the beauty of consecrated life with a testimony of joy
- 2015-10-07 - The preparation for the beatification of the three missionaries killed in 1991 continues
- 2015-09-24 - Mgr. Piorno to the authorities involved in court proceedings: "The best thing is to resign, for the tranquility of the population"
- 2015-09-08 - The Bishop of Chimbote: "the solution to insecurity is not lynching"
- 2015-09-02 - A month dedicated to combatting human trafficking