AMERICA/PERU - Solidarity and sobriety: the solution to the crisis
Huancayo (Agenzia Fides) – The solution to the economic crisis is greater solidarity and greater sobriety of life style: this was said by the Catholic Archbishop of Huancayo, Archbishop Mons. Pedro Barreto Jimeno SJ, at a conference organised in Canada, by the Catholic Agency for Development Peace “Agenzia Dessarrollo y Paz”, promoted by the Catholic Bishops’ Conference of Canada. The Agency supports various solidarity and cooperation run by the Catholic Church in Latin America, in Africa and in Asia.
The title of the Conference was: “Development and Peace: the greater the crisis, the greater the solidarity”. Fides was informed by the Catholic Bishops’ Conference of Peru that the Archbishop said when there is talk of a crisis, at any level, we are afraid, “very often we panic and in the confusion, we forget to think about others ”.
Archbishop Barreto explained: “In the face of the economic crisis, the Catholic Church in her teaching proposes a life of more sobriety and austerity. We must learn to do without the superfluous, and live with more sobriety, sharing with others who we are and what we have. This is what Christ is calling us to do in this Season of Lent: Jesus calls us to convert ourselves, to change, and to live out Christian charity which is a witness of the authenticity of our faith”. (CE) (Agenzia Fides, 23/02/2013)
- 2015-04-13 - Many children grow up in prison with their imprisoned mothers
- 2015-04-09 - Children forced to attend classes under trees infested by wasps
- 2015-02-05 - In August, the beatification of three missionaries killed: the first martyrs of the diocese and Peru
- 2015-02-04 - The three missionaries killed in 1991 will be beatified because they were close to the poorest
- 2015-01-27 - The Bishop of Chimbote asks protection for judges: "We are living in fear"
- 2015-01-22 - Mgr. Salvador Piñeiro re-elected President of the Episcopal Conference
- 2015-01-19 - Missionary Father Bachs has died, defender of the right to education of young people in need
- 2014-12-16 - Climate change: Christians in defense of the weak and of their suffering
- 2014-12-13 - Analysis of the socio-cultural impacts of mining and contribution of missionaries
- 2014-12-03 - COP 20: world meeting for climatic justice, churches together to care for creation