AMERICA/PERU - Solidarity and sobriety: the solution to the crisis
Huancayo (Agenzia Fides) – The solution to the economic crisis is greater solidarity and greater sobriety of life style: this was said by the Catholic Archbishop of Huancayo, Archbishop Mons. Pedro Barreto Jimeno SJ, at a conference organised in Canada, by the Catholic Agency for Development Peace “Agenzia Dessarrollo y Paz”, promoted by the Catholic Bishops’ Conference of Canada. The Agency supports various solidarity and cooperation run by the Catholic Church in Latin America, in Africa and in Asia.
The title of the Conference was: “Development and Peace: the greater the crisis, the greater the solidarity”. Fides was informed by the Catholic Bishops’ Conference of Peru that the Archbishop said when there is talk of a crisis, at any level, we are afraid, “very often we panic and in the confusion, we forget to think about others ”.
Archbishop Barreto explained: “In the face of the economic crisis, the Catholic Church in her teaching proposes a life of more sobriety and austerity. We must learn to do without the superfluous, and live with more sobriety, sharing with others who we are and what we have. This is what Christ is calling us to do in this Season of Lent: Jesus calls us to convert ourselves, to change, and to live out Christian charity which is a witness of the authenticity of our faith”. (CE) (Agenzia Fides, 23/02/2013)
- 2014-09-30 - How to prevent child labor and ensure adequate opportunities for growth
- 2014-09-23 - "Gold fever" increases human trafficking and sexual exploitation
- 2014-09-19 - The activist who fought for the Amazonian forest, against the deforestation of his land killed
- 2014-09-10 - “Young people without frontiers”: witnesses and proclaimers of the faith to the world of today
- 2014-09-05 - Elections: Bishops concerned about serious signs of corruption and distrust in politics
- 2014-08-18 - Killed during their missionary work 23 years ago
- 2014-07-26 - 193 years of independent and Catholic life
- 2014-07-07 - The President receives requests to stop the law on therapeutic abortion
- 2014-07-04 - School conditions for poor Ashaninkas children
- 2014-07-02 - Legislation for therapeutic abortion is "immoral, unconstitutional and illegal"