AMERICA/HONDURAS - 520 women murdered in 2012
Tegucigalpa (Agenzia Fides) - "According to a list based on news reported by the press some 417 women were murdered in Honduras in 2012, a figure that may be as much as 20 per cent too low, which would bring the actual number of women murdered in that year to 520". This was said by Neesa Medina coordinator of the Human Rights Observatory, who was presenting a Map of Violence against Women in Honduras in 2012.
A report sent to us by Fides, a local Catholic weekly, says the purpose of the initiative is to help government institutions and the local Catholic Church elaborate and define preventative policies and action to stem violence against women.
During the presentation, Senora Medina said: "It should be taken into account that about half the media reports on this violence against refer to murders and half to sexual violence ". The coordinator said that violence against women increases alarmingly each year: "In the period 2005-2012 the number of murdered women increased by no less than 300 per cent".
The map of urban areas of cities such as San Pedro Sula, Tegucigalpa and La Ceiba record the highest rate of violence against women. Most of the victims are women aged between 25 and 30 years.
(CE) (Agenzia Fides, 21/02/2013)
- 2014-04-16 - Appeal to clarify the murder of an employee of Radio Progreso
- 2014-03-11 - Criminal gangs train children to handle firearms
- 2014-02-10 - Recognition proposal for the intense social work carried out by the Auxiliary Bishop of the Diocese of San Pedro Sula
- 2014-01-20 - 3,800 children and young people killed in the last four years
- 2014-01-16 - In order to reintegrate into society, ex-prisoners form a solidarity group
- 2014-01-13 - Sexual abuse and prostitution per 3000 girls between 12 to 17 years of age
- 2013-11-21 - "A story of injustice and inequality, it is time for a change": ready for Sunday's elections
- 2013-11-19 - "Vote to have transparent and honest politicians"; 51% of voters are women
- 2013-10-11 - "Children in Christ, firm in Faith", 20,000 letters to the Pope for the National Day of Missionary Childhood
- 2013-10-11 - Confidence in the future of the country, the Bishops call for a free and responsible election