AMERICA/HONDURAS - 520 women murdered in 2012
Tegucigalpa (Agenzia Fides) - "According to a list based on news reported by the press some 417 women were murdered in Honduras in 2012, a figure that may be as much as 20 per cent too low, which would bring the actual number of women murdered in that year to 520". This was said by Neesa Medina coordinator of the Human Rights Observatory, who was presenting a Map of Violence against Women in Honduras in 2012.
A report sent to us by Fides, a local Catholic weekly, says the purpose of the initiative is to help government institutions and the local Catholic Church elaborate and define preventative policies and action to stem violence against women.
During the presentation, Senora Medina said: "It should be taken into account that about half the media reports on this violence against refer to murders and half to sexual violence ". The coordinator said that violence against women increases alarmingly each year: "In the period 2005-2012 the number of murdered women increased by no less than 300 per cent".
The map of urban areas of cities such as San Pedro Sula, Tegucigalpa and La Ceiba record the highest rate of violence against women. Most of the victims are women aged between 25 and 30 years.
(CE) (Agenzia Fides, 21/02/2013)
- 2014-08-19 - The church calls on the authorities to change the situation in prisons
- 2014-07-23 - The Bishop of Choluteca: 5000 people are forced to put their lives at risk in mines every day
- 2014-07-02 - Campaign in schools in favor of children on the issue of responsibility
- 2014-06-23 - It is time to take action! More than 13 thousand children and young Hondurans at the U.S. Border
- 2014-06-13 - Honour of the Congress to Bishop Emiliani Sánchez for his social contribution
- 2014-05-15 - Violence against children who suffer abuse and harassment continues
- 2014-05-13 - Condemnation of the Church for the murder of children, violence does not stop in the country
- 2014-04-30 - Femicide continues to spread: nearly 4000 women were killed between 2002 and 2013
- 2014-04-16 - Appeal to clarify the murder of an employee of Radio Progreso
- 2014-03-11 - Criminal gangs train children to handle firearms