AFRICA/SUDAN - Clashes in the Blue Nile area continue
Khartoum (Agenzia Fides)- Clashes continue in Sudan’s Blue Nile state bordering on South Sudan, between Khartoum military and troops of SPLA-N (North-Sudan People’s Liberation Army).
One SPLA-N spokesman told the Catholic Radio Network (CNR) that 86 Sudanese soldiers were killed in fighting 15 km from a town called Mufu. The spokesman added that the clashes started a week ago after government troops bombed the area with shells and missiles forcing thousands of civilians to flee for safety. The guerrilla spokesman confirmed that the clashes continue but gave no figure regarding the number of rebel troops lost ,sources say. However CNR was unable to verify the spokesman’s statement with independent sources.
In the meantime the American government has expressed concern for the tension between Sudan and South Sudan, divided by various border disputes. In recent weeks Juba accused Khartoum troops of violating the border and shelling border area towns, whereas Sudan replied that the South Sudanese supply logistic support to SPLA-N and other guerrilla movements operating on its territory. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 21/2/2013)
- 2013-12-12 AFRICA/SUDAN - The military hospitals refuse to treat the militiamen
- 2013-11-15 AFRICA/SUDAN - Armed militiamen attack farmers and take turns raping women farmers in North Darfur
- 2013-11-12 AFRICA/SUDAN - 7000 inhabitants in South Darfur do not have drinking water and basic services
- 2013-11-06 AFRICA/SUDAN - Air raid on a school in the area of the Nuba Mountains: people killed and wounded
- 2013-10-15 AFRICA/SUDAN - Training courses for Sudanese teachers in refugee camps in Chad
- 2013-09-27 AFRICA/SUDAN - Dozens killed in clashes in Khartoum during the protests for the rise in fuel prices
- 2013-09-26 AFRICA/SUDAN - Increasing acts of intimidation against the Church
- 2013-09-25 AFRICA/SUDAN - No food for 10,000 displaced people in 18 months in West Darfur
- 2013-09-12 AFRICA/SUDAN - New bombings in the Nuba Mountains in Sudan and South Sudan have been denounced
- 2013-07-26 AFRICA/SUDAN - "Converted being tracked down"