AFRICA/SUDAN - Clashes in the Blue Nile area continue
Khartoum (Agenzia Fides)- Clashes continue in Sudan’s Blue Nile state bordering on South Sudan, between Khartoum military and troops of SPLA-N (North-Sudan People’s Liberation Army).
One SPLA-N spokesman told the Catholic Radio Network (CNR) that 86 Sudanese soldiers were killed in fighting 15 km from a town called Mufu. The spokesman added that the clashes started a week ago after government troops bombed the area with shells and missiles forcing thousands of civilians to flee for safety. The guerrilla spokesman confirmed that the clashes continue but gave no figure regarding the number of rebel troops lost ,sources say. However CNR was unable to verify the spokesman’s statement with independent sources.
In the meantime the American government has expressed concern for the tension between Sudan and South Sudan, divided by various border disputes. In recent weeks Juba accused Khartoum troops of violating the border and shelling border area towns, whereas Sudan replied that the South Sudanese supply logistic support to SPLA-N and other guerrilla movements operating on its territory. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 21/2/2013)
- 2014-07-21 - AFRICA/SUDAN – Sudan bans the construction of new churches
- 2014-07-14 - Stop to the building of churches by the authorities in Khartoum
- 2014-07-09 - Torrential rains worsen the living conditions of hundreds of thousands of displaced persons
- 2014-07-02 - Humanitarian crisis and lack of investment in social sectors affect 70% of children
- 2014-06-25 - Over 4,500 homeless children in the capital of South Darfur
- 2014-06-02 - "The condemnation of Mariam Yehya Ibrahim is a direct persecution of Christians " say the Sudanese Christian Churches
- 2014-05-31 - AFRICA/SUDAN – Women in refugee camps beaten and tortured
- 2014-05-26 - Christian Churches condemn the death penalty imposed on a Christian woman accused of apostasy
- 2014-05-21 - Rapes, theft and destruction against the displaced persons in the refugee camp in Zamzam
- 2014-05-14 - After the bombing of a Catholic hospital, mass displacement in Southern Kordofan