AFRICA/SUDAN - Clashes in the Blue Nile area continue
Khartoum (Agenzia Fides)- Clashes continue in Sudan’s Blue Nile state bordering on South Sudan, between Khartoum military and troops of SPLA-N (North-Sudan People’s Liberation Army).
One SPLA-N spokesman told the Catholic Radio Network (CNR) that 86 Sudanese soldiers were killed in fighting 15 km from a town called Mufu. The spokesman added that the clashes started a week ago after government troops bombed the area with shells and missiles forcing thousands of civilians to flee for safety. The guerrilla spokesman confirmed that the clashes continue but gave no figure regarding the number of rebel troops lost ,sources say. However CNR was unable to verify the spokesman’s statement with independent sources.
In the meantime the American government has expressed concern for the tension between Sudan and South Sudan, divided by various border disputes. In recent weeks Juba accused Khartoum troops of violating the border and shelling border area towns, whereas Sudan replied that the South Sudanese supply logistic support to SPLA-N and other guerrilla movements operating on its territory. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 21/2/2013)
- 2015-01-30 - Humanitarian aid denied in conflict areas: MSF forced to close activities
- 2015-01-14 - Hunger and cold temperatures continue to cause deaths in North Darfur
- 2014-12-17 - Twenty new radio stations in Darfur and South Kordofan
- 2014-12-04 - AFRICA/SUDAN – Police raid Evangelical church in Khartoum
- 2014-11-12 - AFRICA/SUDAN – Alarm: haemorrhagic fever in Southern Kordofan
- 2014-10-01 - Epidemics and food shortages in refugee camps in Kass, South Darfur
- 2014-09-24 - Severe floods are affecting tens of thousands of new refugees in Darfur
- 2014-09-05 - AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN – Appeal for embargo on arms entering South Sudan, grave humanitarian crisis impending
- 2014-07-21 - AFRICA/SUDAN – Sudan bans the construction of new churches
- 2014-07-14 - Stop to the building of churches by the authorities in Khartoum