AFRICA/BURKINA FASO - Caritas Sahel Meeting: focus Humanitarian Crisis in Mali
Ouagadougou (Agenzia Fides) - To unite Caritas Sahel efforts addressing socio-political and food crises in the region, is the aim of a meeting opened on 19 February in Ouagadougou, capital of Burkina Faso, attended by Caritas national branches of Burkina Faso, Mali, Niger and Senegal, which since 2007 have elaborated the " Caritas Sahel platform ".
According to a report sent to Fides, participants at the meeting, which will conclude on Saturday 23 February, include delegates for communications and emergency operations aiming to set up a regional communication system among the different Catholic aid organizations.
The meeting is set in the framework of Emergency Appeal 38/2012 known as "Project to reinforce Caritas capacity for preparation and global response to humanitarian emergency caused by crisis in Mali".
According to Caritas Burkina Executive Secretary Rev. Isidore Ouédraogo, the meeting aims to create a work-sharing plan for Caritas Sahel communications and emergency operators, so as to improve intervention capacity.
According to cautious estimates some 300.000 Malian displaced persons have found refuge in bordering countries. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 20/2/2013)
- 2015-10-02 - Leader of the coup surrenders; today a day of prayer for peace in the Country
- 2015-09-28 - Coup leaders retreat: the role of the king of the Mossi in the resolution of the crisis
- 2015-09-23 - An agreement with the coup leaders has been reached; Bishops: "do not destroy the expectations of the people"
- 2015-09-22 - Burkina Faso's army has given coup leaders an ultimatum to surrender
- 2015-09-17 - "A predictable coup since Compaoré's praetorian guard was not dissolved" say Fides sources
- 2015-09-07 - Bishops' message for the 11 October elections: "Politics, the highest form of charity"
- 2015-07-15 - Caritas launches the program of consolidation of democracy in view of the elections in October
- 2015-02-09 - Demonstrations for the dissolution of the presidential guard
- 2014-12-17 - The Camilliani committed to face the threat of Ebola virus
- 2014-11-17 - AFRICA/BURKINA FASO – Burkina Faso appoints transitional President