AFRICA/SUDAN - Are Islamists fleeing Mali finding refuge in Darfur?
Khartoum (Agenzia Fides)- Islamist militants, reportedly fleeing from Mali, may be finding refuge in the north of the west Sudan region of Darfur, since 2003 the scene of war between the Khartoum regime and several different local armed groups. One of these groups, more precisely JEM, the Justice and Equality Movement, has reported the presence in the area of Islamist militia fleeing Mali, chased by advancing troops from France, Mali and other African countries.
According to the Sudan Tribune, a JEM spokesman said the Sudanese government welcomed the Malian Islamists intending to deploy them in Darfur and other parts of Sudan.
In recent days other groups active in Darfur denounced the presence of Islamists fleeing from Mali. Some went as far as to speak of air lifts organised by some Arab country in view of the relocation of the militia in the Sudanese region. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 18/2/2013
- 2015-08-05 - Rain and wind storms are causing severe damage in South Darfur
- 2015-07-07 - The Church organizes schools for South Sudanese refugees in Khartoum
- 2015-06-15 - "Assurance in South Africa: President Bashir will leave", said a spokesman in Khartoum
- 2015-04-28 - Omar Hassan al-Bashir re-elected President with 94% of the votes
- 2015-04-22 - Outbreak of measles in Darfur: cases continue to multiply
- 2015-04-15 - 70 thousand bags of Carcinogenic Sugar distributed in South Darfur
- 2015-04-13 - AFRICA/SUDAN – Elections contested by the opposition begin, while tension increases with South Sudan
- 2015-02-25 - The number of homeless children, 700 000 live on the streets of the capital
- 2015-02-12 - Hunger and diseases for the displaced persons in Darfur: food, medicines and basic necessities are needed
- 2015-01-30 - Humanitarian aid denied in conflict areas: MSF forced to close activities