AFRICA/KENYA - "Elections should not divide us anymore," said Archbishop Okoth
Nairobi (Agenzia Fides) - "The entire leadership of the Catholic Church shall remain non-partisan in the forthcoming general elections because as a church we are interested in the unity of all Kenyans." Said Archbishop Zacchaeus Okoth, Archbishop of Kisumu and President of the Episcopal Commission 'Justice and Peace', in launching the Lenten campaign: "United and peaceful Kenya-The change I want to see", less than a month away from the parliamentary and presidential elections.
According to reports from the CISA Agency in Nairobi, Archbishop Okoth, has appealed to politicians to impress upon Kenyans the need for peaceful elections. The appeal is made necessary by the post-election violence that erupted in late December 2007 and lasted several months that led to the deaths of thousands of people. "Let Kenya not bleed. Kenya is bigger than any individual. We should seek a united and peaceful Kenya. Elections should not divide " said the Archbishop.
"To achieve this goal of unity, as Kenyans we have to accept, appreciate and respect the social, cultural and religious differences of individuals, group and peoples," concluded Archbishop Okoth. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 15/02/2013)
- 2015-04-20 - "The real aim of Al Shabaab is to spark religious conflict, let us not fall into that trap", say the Islamic leaders
- 2015-04-16 - "Moving Dadaab Refugee Camp back to Somalia must go hand in hand with allocating more resources to Northern Kenya for it to succeed", says the Bishop of Garissa
- 2015-04-10 - The Bishops: "Who knows must denounce the terrorists; the government has to address the obvious breakdown in the security intelligence system"
- 2015-04-08 - "The Shabaab attack Christians also for people to forget the massacres against Muslims committed by them", says Mgr. Alexander
- 2015-03-11 - AFRICA/KENYA – A study of the Church: the factors of internal conflict
- 2015-03-05 - The Church make uncultivated land available to produce food
- 2015-02-17 - Anti-tetanus vaccine final test: 30% contains birth control factor
- 2015-02-12 - Attorney-General proposes a meeting to review the proposed regulations on religious groups
- 2015-02-06 - "No increase in fees for high schools" says the Church
- 2015-01-20 - Schoolchildren abused of their rights