AFRICA/KENYA - "Elections should not divide us anymore," said Archbishop Okoth
Nairobi (Agenzia Fides) - "The entire leadership of the Catholic Church shall remain non-partisan in the forthcoming general elections because as a church we are interested in the unity of all Kenyans." Said Archbishop Zacchaeus Okoth, Archbishop of Kisumu and President of the Episcopal Commission 'Justice and Peace', in launching the Lenten campaign: "United and peaceful Kenya-The change I want to see", less than a month away from the parliamentary and presidential elections.
According to reports from the CISA Agency in Nairobi, Archbishop Okoth, has appealed to politicians to impress upon Kenyans the need for peaceful elections. The appeal is made necessary by the post-election violence that erupted in late December 2007 and lasted several months that led to the deaths of thousands of people. "Let Kenya not bleed. Kenya is bigger than any individual. We should seek a united and peaceful Kenya. Elections should not divide " said the Archbishop.
"To achieve this goal of unity, as Kenyans we have to accept, appreciate and respect the social, cultural and religious differences of individuals, group and peoples," concluded Archbishop Okoth. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 15/02/2013)
- 2014-12-18 - Clashes among MPs on anti-terrorism law could put fundamental freedoms at risk
- 2014-12-12 - Christian leaders ask Muslims "for a deliberate and concerted effort" to stop the violence of the Shabaab
- 2014-12-05 - AFRICA/KENYA – Bishop of Kakamega resigns, successor appointed
- 2014-12-02 - Coadjutor Bishop of Garissa: "One is trying to destabilize the north of Kenya"
- 2014-12-01 - Justice and Peace Commission: The state of insecurity is to be declared "national disaster"
- 2014-11-24 - Security measures have been intensified in front of churches after the massacre of the bus
- 2014-11-19 - AFRICA/KENYA – Joint tests of Church and State on the tetanus vaccine considered a means of birth control
- 2014-11-11 - The government presents a commission of inquiry on the tetanus vaccination after the protests of the Church
- 2014-11-07 - Bishops reaffirm: "tetanus vaccination is a program of population control in disguise"
- 2014-11-04 - The comfort of the Church for the victims of the attack in the area of Lake Turkana