AFRICA/KENYA - "Elections should not divide us anymore," said Archbishop Okoth
Nairobi (Agenzia Fides) - "The entire leadership of the Catholic Church shall remain non-partisan in the forthcoming general elections because as a church we are interested in the unity of all Kenyans." Said Archbishop Zacchaeus Okoth, Archbishop of Kisumu and President of the Episcopal Commission 'Justice and Peace', in launching the Lenten campaign: "United and peaceful Kenya-The change I want to see", less than a month away from the parliamentary and presidential elections.
According to reports from the CISA Agency in Nairobi, Archbishop Okoth, has appealed to politicians to impress upon Kenyans the need for peaceful elections. The appeal is made necessary by the post-election violence that erupted in late December 2007 and lasted several months that led to the deaths of thousands of people. "Let Kenya not bleed. Kenya is bigger than any individual. We should seek a united and peaceful Kenya. Elections should not divide " said the Archbishop.
"To achieve this goal of unity, as Kenyans we have to accept, appreciate and respect the social, cultural and religious differences of individuals, group and peoples," concluded Archbishop Okoth. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 15/02/2013)
- 2014-04-16 - "Ensure a safe country for us and future generations with respect for human rights", asks Cardinal Njue
- 2014-03-27 - Christian and Muslim religious leaders condemn the attack on the Evangelical Church
- 2014-03-24 - "The fundamentalists that strike Christians also threaten the local Imam", said the apostolic administrator of Mombasa
- 2014-01-07 - Food, clothing, shelter, water: emergency for Sudanese refugees
- 2013-11-19 - Polio alert in the Horn of Africa: planned vaccination campaigns for millions of children
- 2013-11-11 - Agreement for the repatriation of one million Somali refugees
- 2013-11-09 - The Bishops of Kenya: insecurity, corruption and greed devastate the nation
- 2013-10-24 - Evangelical leaders in Mombasa: we will not be intimidated by the murder of two pastors"
- 2013-10-02 - AFRICA/KENYA – Interreligious prayer for the victims of the attack at the Westgate Mall
- 2013-09-27 - Controversy over the assault at Westgate