AFRICA/KENYA - "Elections should not divide us anymore," said Archbishop Okoth
Nairobi (Agenzia Fides) - "The entire leadership of the Catholic Church shall remain non-partisan in the forthcoming general elections because as a church we are interested in the unity of all Kenyans." Said Archbishop Zacchaeus Okoth, Archbishop of Kisumu and President of the Episcopal Commission 'Justice and Peace', in launching the Lenten campaign: "United and peaceful Kenya-The change I want to see", less than a month away from the parliamentary and presidential elections.
According to reports from the CISA Agency in Nairobi, Archbishop Okoth, has appealed to politicians to impress upon Kenyans the need for peaceful elections. The appeal is made necessary by the post-election violence that erupted in late December 2007 and lasted several months that led to the deaths of thousands of people. "Let Kenya not bleed. Kenya is bigger than any individual. We should seek a united and peaceful Kenya. Elections should not divide " said the Archbishop.
"To achieve this goal of unity, as Kenyans we have to accept, appreciate and respect the social, cultural and religious differences of individuals, group and peoples," concluded Archbishop Okoth. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 15/02/2013)
- 2014-07-23 - Works begin on a new center for disabled children in the village of Kandisi
- 2014-07-18 - The First Lady praised the Church's role in improving the lives of millions of Kenyans
- 2014-07-17 - The army have discovered four fields where the perpetrators of the attacks in the coastal region hide
- 2014-07-15 - The perpetrators of the attacks against some villages on the coast have been identified
- 2014-07-09 - Bishops' appeal: "The media play a pivotal role in the Country"
- 2014-06-26 - The governor of Lamu arrested for the attacks on coastal villages
- 2014-06-24 - Clean water and health care to reduce mortality among the most vulnerable
- 2014-06-24 - Christian leaders: "call off political rallies, demonstrations, one has to work to stop violence"
- 2014-06-18 - "The two assaults committed by Kenyans and foreigners, not by Shabaab", says the Bishop of Malindi
- 2014-06-17 - New assault against a Kenyan village, the commando has probably taken women and children hostage