AFRICA/LIBYA - "The nuns, except those of Benghazi, have left Cyrenaica"
Tripoli (Agenzia Fides) - "On the anniversary of the revolution anything could happen" said to Fides Agency His Exc. Mgr. Giovanni Innocenzo Martinelli, Apostolic Vicar of Tripoli, just days before the second anniversary of the uprising which broke out on February 17 2011 in Benghazi that eventually led to the fall of the Gaddafi regime.
The most critical situation is precisely in Cyrenaica, of which Benghazi is the capital, where several religious congregations have decided to leave (see Fides 31/01/2013).
"All the nuns of various religious orders left Cyrenaica (from Tobruk, Beida, el Merj, Derna)" confirms Mgr. Martinelli. " Just the Sisters of the Immaculate Conception of Ivrea have remained who have been in Benghazi for some time. The Apostolic Vicar of Benghazi, Mgr. Sylvester Carmel Magro, was advised to leave the Church and find another accommodation these days, " continues Mgr. Martinelli.
"Even in Tripoli, where the situation is calm, we have been advised to be careful and not to move. A warning that in any case has been extended to all Europeans. The city is preparing for the celebrations with joy but security measures have increased in fear of attacks, " says the Apostolic Vicar of Tripoli. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 14/02/2013)
- 2013-05-20 AFRICA/LIBYA - Attack near the Catholic church in Benghazi
- 2013-04-24 AFRICA/LIBYA - Mgr. Martinelli is concerned about yesterday’s attack and saddened by the deaths of two nuns
- 2013-03-04 AFRICA/LIBYA - Catholic priest attacked in Tripoli
- 2013-02-14 AFRICA/LIBYA - "The nuns, except those of Benghazi, have left Cyrenaica"
- 2013-01-31 AFRICA/LIBYA - Two religious communities forced to leave Cyrenaica, complaint by Mgr. Martinelli, "In coming days we expect difficult times"
- 2013-01-25 AFRICA/LIBYA - Some Western countries invite their countrymen to leave Benghazi
- 2012-12-20 AFRICA/LIBYA - "Security is the top priority of my government," says the Libyan Premier
- 2012-12-17 AFRICA/LIBYA - The Libyan authorities decree the south "military zone" and close the borders with four States
- 2012-12-07 AFRICA/LIBYA - Christmas carols in different languages: a tradition of the Church in Libya
- 2012-09-12 AFRICA/LIBYA - "Do not offend the peoples religious sensibility," said Mgr. Martinelli