AFRICA/LIBYA - "The nuns, except those of Benghazi, have left Cyrenaica"
Tripoli (Agenzia Fides) - "On the anniversary of the revolution anything could happen" said to Fides Agency His Exc. Mgr. Giovanni Innocenzo Martinelli, Apostolic Vicar of Tripoli, just days before the second anniversary of the uprising which broke out on February 17 2011 in Benghazi that eventually led to the fall of the Gaddafi regime.
The most critical situation is precisely in Cyrenaica, of which Benghazi is the capital, where several religious congregations have decided to leave (see Fides 31/01/2013).
"All the nuns of various religious orders left Cyrenaica (from Tobruk, Beida, el Merj, Derna)" confirms Mgr. Martinelli. " Just the Sisters of the Immaculate Conception of Ivrea have remained who have been in Benghazi for some time. The Apostolic Vicar of Benghazi, Mgr. Sylvester Carmel Magro, was advised to leave the Church and find another accommodation these days, " continues Mgr. Martinelli.
"Even in Tripoli, where the situation is calm, we have been advised to be careful and not to move. A warning that in any case has been extended to all Europeans. The city is preparing for the celebrations with joy but security measures have increased in fear of attacks, " says the Apostolic Vicar of Tripoli. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 14/02/2013)
- 2014-10-20 - Elements of the Islamic State and Boko Haram are in Libya, says the Prime Minister
- 2014-10-16 - "Bombing continues, with less intensity", says the Apostolic Vicar of Benghazi
- 2014-10-15 - "The population is locked in the house, fighting continues on the outskirts of Benghazi", says the Apostolic Vicar
- 2014-09-25 - Not only in Syria and Iraq, air raids also continue in Libya
- 2014-09-11 - Ethnic groups and oil in the Libyan civil war
- 2014-09-01 - “We no longer hear bomb explosions, the situation would seem calmer” says Bishop Martinelli
- 2014-08-04 - "Even if only one Christian remains I will stay here", says the Apostolic Vicar of Tripoli
- 2014-07-14 - Worrying situation in Tripoli after clashes at the airport
- 2014-05-21 - "NATO office in Tripoli has been hit" says Mgr. Martinelli to Fides
- 2014-05-20 - "There are presuppositions for a Civil War, but the people want peace", said Mgr. Martinelli