AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - Tension rises between South Sudan and Sudan
Juba (Agenzia Fides) - "In the last two months we have noticed an unusual strengthening of Sudanese troops along the common border," said Deputy Minister of Defense of South Sudan, Majak Agot.
The representative of South Sudan added that this military increase seems to indicate that Sudan is planning a military operation to impose a solution in it favor to the border disputes between the two States. Despite the agreements signed in September 2012, the two Countries have not established a demilitarized zone and have not established an agreement to resume south Sudanese oil exports through Sudanese structures.
Majak Agot has also denounced the incursion committed by Khartoum troops against some South Sudanese locations.
The President of South Sudan, Salva Kiir, has ordered the deployment "urgent and coordinated" by the military and police in the border areas with Sudan for fear of a possible incursion of troops in Khartoum. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 13/02/2013)
- 2015-01-30 - The Bishops denounce: "Land grabbing threatens the stability of the Country"
- 2015-01-16 - The importance of "true hospitality" towards refugees
- 2014-12-15 - Memorial Mass for the victims and for peace, a year after the outbreak of the Civil War
- 2014-11-14 - The first woman mayor of Yei killed: an act against the Church and against peace
- 2014-10-30 - Campaign against the recruitment of children in armed conflict: "Children, not soldiers"!
- 2014-10-21 - The warring parties recognize their responsibilities in the civil war, "an important step for peace"
- 2014-10-09 - The law that strengthens the powers of security services has been approved, the opposition protests
- 2014-10-07 - A million people at risk of hunger if the political crisis is not solved
- 2014-10-03 - South Sudan's authorities threaten Catholic community radio
- 2014-10-01 - Authorities have threatened to close down another Catholic radio