AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - Tension rises between South Sudan and Sudan
Juba (Agenzia Fides) - "In the last two months we have noticed an unusual strengthening of Sudanese troops along the common border," said Deputy Minister of Defense of South Sudan, Majak Agot.
The representative of South Sudan added that this military increase seems to indicate that Sudan is planning a military operation to impose a solution in it favor to the border disputes between the two States. Despite the agreements signed in September 2012, the two Countries have not established a demilitarized zone and have not established an agreement to resume south Sudanese oil exports through Sudanese structures.
Majak Agot has also denounced the incursion committed by Khartoum troops against some South Sudanese locations.
The President of South Sudan, Salva Kiir, has ordered the deployment "urgent and coordinated" by the military and police in the border areas with Sudan for fear of a possible incursion of troops in Khartoum. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 13/02/2013)
- 2015-06-25 - Cholera and rains aggravate the humanitarian situation, thousands of refugees fleeing the war: the testimony of a missionary
- 2015-06-23 - Appeal from Torit: the few NGOs that have remained in South Sudan must not leave over 4 million displaced alone
- 2015-06-10 - New appeal of Christian leaders to stop the "senseless war"
- 2015-05-27 - Christian Churches: "Stop the violence, instigated by leaders, most of whom call themselves Christians"
- 2015-05-26 - Security situation worsens due to clashes
- 2015-05-04 - "Population left to themselves, we are determined to restore peace" say Christian leaders
- 2015-04-22 - Malakal: heavy fighting between soldiers from three different ethnic groups
- 2015-04-21 - Peripheral areas left to themselves due to national conflict: tribal clashes reawaken
- 2015-04-01 - "Stop the war immediately. If the parties are unable to reach agreement by themselves, then they must be persuaded to accept a solution" say Christian leaders
- 2015-03-24 - "Inexperience and corruption are the cause of civil war" says the Bishop of Wau