AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - Tension rises between South Sudan and Sudan
Juba (Agenzia Fides) - "In the last two months we have noticed an unusual strengthening of Sudanese troops along the common border," said Deputy Minister of Defense of South Sudan, Majak Agot.
The representative of South Sudan added that this military increase seems to indicate that Sudan is planning a military operation to impose a solution in it favor to the border disputes between the two States. Despite the agreements signed in September 2012, the two Countries have not established a demilitarized zone and have not established an agreement to resume south Sudanese oil exports through Sudanese structures.
Majak Agot has also denounced the incursion committed by Khartoum troops against some South Sudanese locations.
The President of South Sudan, Salva Kiir, has ordered the deployment "urgent and coordinated" by the military and police in the border areas with Sudan for fear of a possible incursion of troops in Khartoum. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 13/02/2013)
- 2014-08-20 - Security agents release South Sudanese news editor South
- 2014-08-19 - The Bishops' Conference define the closure of Radio Bakhita "unfortunate"
- 2014-08-18 - The main Catholic radio station in the Country has been shut down
- 2014-08-05 - Commitment of the Church and of all the agencies present in Eastern Equatoria to raise awareness against the cholera epidemic that is rampant in the Country
- 2014-07-30 - Thousands of children at risk for an outbreak of cholera
- 2014-07-22 - Child malnutrition rates skyrocket: +73% compared to 2013
- 2014-07-10 - 3 children die every day; 50 thousand at risk for malnutrition, diseases and ethnic conflicts
- 2014-07-03 - 6 hospitals looted or burned in a few months, at least 58 people killed in the hospitals
- 2014-06-24 - Appeal of Christian and Muslim leaders: "Pursue political dialogue for peaceful settlement and end the war"
- 2014-06-13 - Despite the peace agreement there is still alert due to the constant arrivals of refugees in Ethiopia