ASIA/IRAQ - Louis Sako, the new Patriarch of Babylon of the Chaldeans: Christ will help us rebuild our house
Rome (Agenzia Fides) - "Authenticity, unity, renewal." These are the three words that Archbishop Louis Sako, just elected the new Patriarch of Babylon of the Chaldeans, chose as his patriarchal motto. Three guidelines that will inspire him in his new role.
The Synod of Chaldean Bishops, being held in Rome since Monday, chose the new Patriarch yesterday.
The Archbishop of Kirkuk passed the required majority of two-thirds of the 15 voting Bishops. His Holiness Pope Benedict XVI has already sent to the new Patriarch his Ecclesiastical Communio.
"I feel I have been called to a heavy responsibility, and I have a little 'fear," said the new Patriarch to Fides Agency. "We are facing many difficulties, in the Country and even outside the country" says His Exc. Mgr. Sako, "but with the help of Christ and the collaboration between the Bishops we will live a unity that will allow us to rebuild the Chaldean house. A house that will always be open to other Churches - starting with our Assyrian brothers - and our Muslim fellow citizens." According to Patriarch Sako, "the Chaldean Church must be a sign of hope, witness and communion, despite the difficulties, according to the invitation and the call addressed to all of us by Pope Benedict in his postsynodal Apostolic Exhortation Ecclesia in the Middle East."
Compared to the difficulties and hardships that mark the Iraqi scenario, new Patriarch Sako invites his fellow citizens of all faiths to work together "in defense of human dignity and harmonious coexistence based on equality of rights and duties for all citizens." On the future of the Christian presence in the Middle East, His Exc. Mgr. Sako acknowledges that "the road ahead of us is rough and hard, but we can deal with it hoping in the Lord. We are a small flock, but we are His flock, and the number is not important. We can go ahead, in the places where we are." (GV) (Agenzia Fides 01/02/2013).
- 2014-11-27 - The Chaldean Archbishop of Kirkuk: unrealistic and wrong to dream of an autonomous enclave for Christians in the Nineveh Plain
- 2014-11-25 - The jihadists of the Islamic State destroy the convent of the Sisters of the Sacred Heart in Mosul
- 2014-11-20 - New jihadist blackmail for Christians in Mosul: If you do not pay, your houses will be blown up
- 2014-11-20 - Chaldean Patriarch to Muslims: The barbarous acts committed in the name of Islam recalls Nazism. And your reactions are weak
- 2014-11-19 - Christian houses looted also by the Kurdish Peshmerga militias
- 2014-11-11 - A Mass celebrated again in the Nineveh Plain
- 2014-11-11 - Displaced persons remain isolated and without support due to violence
- 2014-11-07 - The furniture of Christian homes put up for sale in the markets of Mosul
- 2014-11-06 - The Chaldean diocese of Erbil conducts a census of the refugees who fled from the Nineveh Plain
- 2014-11-04 - The Church of St. Ephrem in Mosul could soon be transformed into a mosque