ASIA/IRAQ - Louis Sako, the new Patriarch of Babylon of the Chaldeans: Christ will help us rebuild our house
Rome (Agenzia Fides) - "Authenticity, unity, renewal." These are the three words that Archbishop Louis Sako, just elected the new Patriarch of Babylon of the Chaldeans, chose as his patriarchal motto. Three guidelines that will inspire him in his new role.
The Synod of Chaldean Bishops, being held in Rome since Monday, chose the new Patriarch yesterday.
The Archbishop of Kirkuk passed the required majority of two-thirds of the 15 voting Bishops. His Holiness Pope Benedict XVI has already sent to the new Patriarch his Ecclesiastical Communio.
"I feel I have been called to a heavy responsibility, and I have a little 'fear," said the new Patriarch to Fides Agency. "We are facing many difficulties, in the Country and even outside the country" says His Exc. Mgr. Sako, "but with the help of Christ and the collaboration between the Bishops we will live a unity that will allow us to rebuild the Chaldean house. A house that will always be open to other Churches - starting with our Assyrian brothers - and our Muslim fellow citizens." According to Patriarch Sako, "the Chaldean Church must be a sign of hope, witness and communion, despite the difficulties, according to the invitation and the call addressed to all of us by Pope Benedict in his postsynodal Apostolic Exhortation Ecclesia in the Middle East."
Compared to the difficulties and hardships that mark the Iraqi scenario, new Patriarch Sako invites his fellow citizens of all faiths to work together "in defense of human dignity and harmonious coexistence based on equality of rights and duties for all citizens." On the future of the Christian presence in the Middle East, His Exc. Mgr. Sako acknowledges that "the road ahead of us is rough and hard, but we can deal with it hoping in the Lord. We are a small flock, but we are His flock, and the number is not important. We can go ahead, in the places where we are." (GV) (Agenzia Fides 01/02/2013).
- 2015-07-23 - Also in Kirkuk expropriation of Christian homes
- 2015-07-22 - The government orders the transfer of the military of the Nineveh Plain to Baghdad; Christian politicians protest
- 2015-07-14 - The Chaldean Church of St. Joseph in Mosul transformed into a mosque
- 2015-07-10 - In Baghdad, Christians kidnapped and killed despite the payment of ransom
- 2015-07-03 - The founding conference of the Chaldean League has concluded
- 2015-07-01 - An international conference in Erbil to found the "League of the Chaldeans"
- 2015-06-18 - Chaldean Patriarch sends a message to Muslims for the start of Ramadan
- 2015-06-13 - Thousands of Christian homes taken by deception
- 2015-06-10 - Chaldean Patriarch: a year after the fall of Mosul, only national reconciliation can save the country
- 2015-05-15 - The Chaldean Patriarch visits Tehran: "The Iranian government supports the people and the government of Iraq"