AFRICA/MOZAMBIQUE - Over 50 thousand people displaced due to the floods
Maputo (Agenzia Fides) - Following the heavy rains that are flooding the southern part of Mozambique, where already a decade ago, hundreds of people died, local authorities have planned the evacuation of 50 000 people. Since the beginning of the rainy season, the month of October, about 50 people were killed, and eight of the main rivers of the country exceeded the warning threshold. The South African country is experiencing one of the worst floods since the last major flood in 2000, which affected millions of people and caused the death of about 800 people. The rains continue to pour along the basin of the Limpopo River in the southern province of Gaza, home to the most vulnerable communities.
The water has swelled the rivers of neighboring countries and local authorities have opened the floodgates of two dams to reduce the risk of elevated levels.
In the coastal area of Mozambique nine international river basins converge that make it particularly vulnerable to flooding. Although the rain has stopped in most areas, the risk of flooding remains high because of the waters that continue to come from the hinterland. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 30/01/2013)
- 2014-09-01 - AFRICA/MOZAMBIQUE – Appointment of Auxiliary Bishop of Nampula
- 2014-05-08 - Integrated program for the fight against poverty through rural development and human formation: a social project for a rural area
- 2014-03-05 - Famine affects more than 300 000 people
- 2014-02-28 - AFRICA/MOZAMBIQUE – Health care and schooling to combat poverty and neglect in the area of Beira
- 2014-01-10 - Clashes with RENAMO extend to the south
- 2014-01-07 - Much is being done to fight malnutrition and give health care assistance to babies of HIV women and AIDS patients
- 2013-11-27 - Southern African Bishops' Appeal for Peace in Mozambique
- 2013-11-08 - AFRICA/MOZAMBIQUE – The Mozambican crisis worries neighboring countries; Zimbabwe threatens to intervene
- 2013-06-28 - AFRICA/MOZAMBIQUE – Tension in Mozambique after the recent attacks on transportation lines
- 2013-04-05 - Clashes between police and Renamo: at least 4 victims