AFRICA/NIGERIA - Boko Haram declares ceasefire in Borno State
Abuja (Agenzia Fides) - Boko Haram, or at least a part of this jihadist group that operates in northern Nigeria, has agreed to a ceasefire. According to the website of the newspaper "Nigerian Tribune", a group suspected to be members of the Boko Haram sect claimed to have held a closed-door meeting with the Borno State Governor, Alhaji Kashim Shettima, and other top government officials and religious leaders from the state.
Briefing journalists Sheikh Abu Mohammad Abdulazeez Ibn Idris, commander of Boko Haram in Northern and Central Borno, said that after due consultation with the leader of the sect, Shiekh Abubakar Shekau, have all come to terms and agreed to lay down their arms. Sheikh Abdulazeez added, however, that the government should immediately release all their members of Boko Haram in detention unconditionally. The leader of Boko Haram has recognized that because of the guerrilla, a large number of Muslim women and children have suffered, and that they have decided to lay down their arms to avoid further suffering to civilians. Boko Haram has carried out several attacks on churches and other Christian places of worship, but has also hit Islamic leaders, considered "moderate." (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 29/01/2013)
- 2015-01-26 - The Bishop of Maiduguri: "Boko Haram could conquer the entire north-east before the end of the election"
- 2015-01-23 - The Bishops: "too many politicians resort to slander and incite violence" during the election campaign
- 2015-01-16 - Malnutrition, trauma, violence: urgent medical assistance to the survivors of the attack committed by Boko Haram
- 2015-01-12 - "Future hope for a major demonstration to take place just like the one in Paris to say no to Boko Haram" proposes Mgr. Kaigama
- 2015-01-09 - New violence committed by Boko Haram: perhaps 2,000 dead, several churches burned
- 2015-01-08 - Boko Haram is now a regional problem
- 2014-12-29 - The IDPs in Maiduguri celebrate Christmas among hope and fears of suicide bombs
- 2014-12-17 - The parishes of Maiduguri cares for more than 5,000 displaced people fleeing Boko Haram
- 2014-12-01 - Boko Haram: assault on the capital of Yobe, new victims over the weekend
- 2014-11-29 - Mgr. Kaigama: "Boko Haram attacks Muslims who do not think like them"