AFRICA/NIGERIA - Boko Haram declares ceasefire in Borno State
Abuja (Agenzia Fides) - Boko Haram, or at least a part of this jihadist group that operates in northern Nigeria, has agreed to a ceasefire. According to the website of the newspaper "Nigerian Tribune", a group suspected to be members of the Boko Haram sect claimed to have held a closed-door meeting with the Borno State Governor, Alhaji Kashim Shettima, and other top government officials and religious leaders from the state.
Briefing journalists Sheikh Abu Mohammad Abdulazeez Ibn Idris, commander of Boko Haram in Northern and Central Borno, said that after due consultation with the leader of the sect, Shiekh Abubakar Shekau, have all come to terms and agreed to lay down their arms. Sheikh Abdulazeez added, however, that the government should immediately release all their members of Boko Haram in detention unconditionally. The leader of Boko Haram has recognized that because of the guerrilla, a large number of Muslim women and children have suffered, and that they have decided to lay down their arms to avoid further suffering to civilians. Boko Haram has carried out several attacks on churches and other Christian places of worship, but has also hit Islamic leaders, considered "moderate." (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 29/01/2013)
- 2014-02-27 AFRICA/NIGERIA - “Move army command to epicentre of Boko Haram violence” Nigerian Senate orders
- 2014-02-20 AFRICA/NIGERIA - Boko Haram: "we will hit the Nigeria oil region"
- 2014-02-17 AFRICA/NIGERIA - "The latest massacre of civilians unfortunately does not surprise me" says the Archbishop of Jos to Fides
- 2014-02-12 AFRICA/NIGERIA - "No imposition of secular values in Africa," said the Archbishop of Jos
- 2014-02-05 AFRICA/NIGERIA – 80 people killed in the last 24 hours due to violence in four Nigerian states
- 2014-01-29 AFRICA/NIGERIA - Boko Haram: "military response alone does not solve anything", says Cardinal Onaiyekan
- 2014-01-28 AFRICA/NIGERIA - Boko Haram attacks northern Nigeria, also a Catholic church was attacked
- 2013-11-25 AFRICA/NIGERIA - Cardinal Onaiyekan’s prudence on the news of Christian women abducted by Boko Haram and forcibly converted to Islam
- 2013-11-22 AFRICA/NIGERIA - "The existence of many Pentecostal churches is no impediment to the evangelization mission of the Catholic Church", said Cardinal Onaiyekan
- 2013-11-14 AFRICA/NIGERIA - "Good knowledge of other religions at the basis for dialogue between Christians and Muslims"