AFRICA/NIGERIA - Boko Haram declares ceasefire in Borno State
Abuja (Agenzia Fides) - Boko Haram, or at least a part of this jihadist group that operates in northern Nigeria, has agreed to a ceasefire. According to the website of the newspaper "Nigerian Tribune", a group suspected to be members of the Boko Haram sect claimed to have held a closed-door meeting with the Borno State Governor, Alhaji Kashim Shettima, and other top government officials and religious leaders from the state.
Briefing journalists Sheikh Abu Mohammad Abdulazeez Ibn Idris, commander of Boko Haram in Northern and Central Borno, said that after due consultation with the leader of the sect, Shiekh Abubakar Shekau, have all come to terms and agreed to lay down their arms. Sheikh Abdulazeez added, however, that the government should immediately release all their members of Boko Haram in detention unconditionally. The leader of Boko Haram has recognized that because of the guerrilla, a large number of Muslim women and children have suffered, and that they have decided to lay down their arms to avoid further suffering to civilians. Boko Haram has carried out several attacks on churches and other Christian places of worship, but has also hit Islamic leaders, considered "moderate." (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 29/01/2013)
- 2015-09-28 - Bishops: "Need to diversify the economy in order to avoid our young people to migrate to Europe"
- 2015-09-23 - Despite the attacks, the displaced return to Maiduguri; 3 priests ordained in a community ransacked by Boko Haram
- 2015-09-17 - 60% of children are victims of abuse and violence of all kinds
- 2015-09-10 - Another priest kidnapped; more and more religious victims of road ambushes
- 2015-09-02 - Bishops support President Buhari's campaign against corruption
- 2015-08-17 - Claretian Missionary priest killed in road ambush
- 2015-07-16 - "If Boko Haram succeed in cutting us off from the other part of Nigeria, Maiduguri is doomed"
- 2015-07-15 - Boko Haram strikes again, but no longer controls whole territories
- 2015-07-10 - sex marriages in the western world
- 2015-07-06 - New attacks of Boko Haram: a mosque and a Protestant Church