AFRICA/NIGERIA - Boko Haram declares ceasefire in Borno State
Abuja (Agenzia Fides) - Boko Haram, or at least a part of this jihadist group that operates in northern Nigeria, has agreed to a ceasefire. According to the website of the newspaper "Nigerian Tribune", a group suspected to be members of the Boko Haram sect claimed to have held a closed-door meeting with the Borno State Governor, Alhaji Kashim Shettima, and other top government officials and religious leaders from the state.
Briefing journalists Sheikh Abu Mohammad Abdulazeez Ibn Idris, commander of Boko Haram in Northern and Central Borno, said that after due consultation with the leader of the sect, Shiekh Abubakar Shekau, have all come to terms and agreed to lay down their arms. Sheikh Abdulazeez added, however, that the government should immediately release all their members of Boko Haram in detention unconditionally. The leader of Boko Haram has recognized that because of the guerrilla, a large number of Muslim women and children have suffered, and that they have decided to lay down their arms to avoid further suffering to civilians. Boko Haram has carried out several attacks on churches and other Christian places of worship, but has also hit Islamic leaders, considered "moderate." (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 29/01/2013)
- 2013-11-25 AFRICA/NIGERIA - Cardinal Onaiyekan’s prudence on the news of Christian women abducted by Boko Haram and forcibly converted to Islam
- 2013-11-22 AFRICA/NIGERIA - "The existence of many Pentecostal churches is no impediment to the evangelization mission of the Catholic Church", said Cardinal Onaiyekan
- 2013-11-14 AFRICA/NIGERIA - "Good knowledge of other religions at the basis for dialogue between Christians and Muslims"
- 2013-11-13 AFRICA/NIGERIA - The Nigerian deputies open an investigation into the management of oil
- 2013-11-07 AFRICA/NIGERIA - A stampede left at least 28 people dead during a prayer vigil
- 2013-10-16 AFRICA/NIGERIA - "The Church urged to reduce poverty", says the Director of Caritas
- 2013-09-30 AFRICA/NIGERIA - "Boko Haram is now composed of fanatics that affect Christians and Muslims," said Bishop Kaigama
- 2013-09-20 AFRICA/NIGERIA - "I am happy to be a Catholic" Holy Childhood celebrates the Year of Faith
- 2013-09-20 AFRICA/NIGERIA - "Boko Haram has no qualms in killing innocent people", said Mgr. Kaigama
- 2013-09-16 AFRICA/NIGERIA - The Bishops denounce "the attempts of foreign agencies to introduce unhealthy values in society"