AFRICA/NIGERIA - Boko Haram declares ceasefire in Borno State
Abuja (Agenzia Fides) - Boko Haram, or at least a part of this jihadist group that operates in northern Nigeria, has agreed to a ceasefire. According to the website of the newspaper "Nigerian Tribune", a group suspected to be members of the Boko Haram sect claimed to have held a closed-door meeting with the Borno State Governor, Alhaji Kashim Shettima, and other top government officials and religious leaders from the state.
Briefing journalists Sheikh Abu Mohammad Abdulazeez Ibn Idris, commander of Boko Haram in Northern and Central Borno, said that after due consultation with the leader of the sect, Shiekh Abubakar Shekau, have all come to terms and agreed to lay down their arms. Sheikh Abdulazeez added, however, that the government should immediately release all their members of Boko Haram in detention unconditionally. The leader of Boko Haram has recognized that because of the guerrilla, a large number of Muslim women and children have suffered, and that they have decided to lay down their arms to avoid further suffering to civilians. Boko Haram has carried out several attacks on churches and other Christian places of worship, but has also hit Islamic leaders, considered "moderate." (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 29/01/2013)
- 2015-08-17 - Claretian Missionary priest killed in road ambush
- 2015-07-16 - "If Boko Haram succeed in cutting us off from the other part of Nigeria, Maiduguri is doomed"
- 2015-07-15 - Boko Haram strikes again, but no longer controls whole territories
- 2015-07-10 - sex marriages in the western world
- 2015-07-06 - New attacks of Boko Haram: a mosque and a Protestant Church
- 2015-07-03 - "Boko Haram wants to punish Muslims who rebel against their violence", says a priest from Abuja
- 2015-07-01 - "Precarious security and non-existent infrastructure in the areas liberated by Boko Haram" reports the Bishop of Yola
- 2015-06-24 - "Despite the latest attacks, we hope that Boko Haram will be soon defeated" says the Bishop of Maiduguri
- 2015-06-22 - Priest kidnapped on June 8 has been released, no ransom was paid
- 2015-06-13 - Still no contact with the kidnappers of the priest kidnapped