AMERICA/MEXICO - "Brother Narco": a video that urges forgiveness in order to break the chain of violence
Mexico City (Agenzia Fides) - Miri's story, a 13-year-old girl, who along with her younger brother saw their parents killed by a gang of drug dealers, and then embraces the murderer as a sign of forgiveness, despite the family members incited her towards hatred and vengeance, is the subject of a new short film that was presented on Sunday, January 27, by Cardinal Norberto Rivera, Archbishop of Mexico, in the Cathedral of Mexico City.
The video, which lasts 10 minutes was produced by the priest Paolino Omar Sotelo Aguilar, SSP, who explained to the press that the purpose is to reconsider the feeling of forgiveness in the midst of so much violence. It is "such a strong feeling, which can transform an entire society." For the Church, violence begets only violence, so the priest insisted on finding other tools to overcome this situation, "because in some parts of the country one can no longer live."
Miri’s story is authentic, similar to that of thousands of children and families affected by the war against and between drug cartels that hve bloodied the country. As stated in the note sent to Fides Agency, there were more than 15,000 victims of the conflict in the past year. This figure rises to 90,000 (according to NGOs data) if we look at the last six years. "Brother Narco" is the first in a series of 12 short films that tell stories based on the stories of real people who have come to ask the Catholic Church for help. The video can be seen on YouTube and on the website of the Catholic Multimedia Center. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 29/01/2013)
- 2014-12-23 - Mexico is the most dangerous country in Latin America where to exercise the priestly ministry
- 2014-12-22 - The Apostolic Nuncio celebrates Mass for the families of the students who have disappeared from Ayotzinapa
- 2014-12-15 - The Church reminds authorities that they even have to respond to the law for their actions
- 2014-12-13 - AMERICA/MEXICO – Conclusion of the 10th "Caravan of hope": 9 missing migrants found
- 2014-12-10 - The Church close to the families of the missing students and engaged in proposing solutions
- 2014-12-09 - AMERICA/MEXICO – After14 years ordination of 9 Indigenous permanent deacons
- 2014-12-09 - AMERICA/MEXICO – Young man dies to obtain justice
- 2014-12-06 - Bishop of Torreón calls for “more proposals and less protests to achieve peace”
- 2014-12-03 - Bishop Alba: "We cannot allow criminals steal our streets, steal our peace"
- 2014-11-29 - After improvised lessons in the street, minors are forced to bring chairs in a house used as a school every day