AMERICA/MEXICO - "Brother Narco": a video that urges forgiveness in order to break the chain of violence
Mexico City (Agenzia Fides) - Miri's story, a 13-year-old girl, who along with her younger brother saw their parents killed by a gang of drug dealers, and then embraces the murderer as a sign of forgiveness, despite the family members incited her towards hatred and vengeance, is the subject of a new short film that was presented on Sunday, January 27, by Cardinal Norberto Rivera, Archbishop of Mexico, in the Cathedral of Mexico City.
The video, which lasts 10 minutes was produced by the priest Paolino Omar Sotelo Aguilar, SSP, who explained to the press that the purpose is to reconsider the feeling of forgiveness in the midst of so much violence. It is "such a strong feeling, which can transform an entire society." For the Church, violence begets only violence, so the priest insisted on finding other tools to overcome this situation, "because in some parts of the country one can no longer live."
Miri’s story is authentic, similar to that of thousands of children and families affected by the war against and between drug cartels that hve bloodied the country. As stated in the note sent to Fides Agency, there were more than 15,000 victims of the conflict in the past year. This figure rises to 90,000 (according to NGOs data) if we look at the last six years. "Brother Narco" is the first in a series of 12 short films that tell stories based on the stories of real people who have come to ask the Catholic Church for help. The video can be seen on YouTube and on the website of the Catholic Multimedia Center. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 29/01/2013)
- 2014-04-15 - Tension in the area of Veracruz due to the work of the hydroelectric power plant
- 2014-04-09 - Six out of 10 children live in poverty, laws are being studied to respect the rights of children
- 2014-04-04 - All involved in finding different mechanisms to put an end to violence
- 2014-03-31 - Mgr. Calzada Guerrero’s appeal:The killings in Oaxaca are a strong wake-up call
- 2014-03-28 - The Bishops: stop with threats! The problem in the area of Veracruz can be resolved through dialogue
- 2014-03-24 - Mgr. Pierre for the 50th anniversary of the Diocese of Veracruz: "Re-launch evangelization"
- 2014-03-15 - The complaint of a Bishop: "Corruption strangles bean farmers"
- 2014-03-14 - How to respond to the challenges of the American continent
- 2014-03-05 - The phenomenon of adolescent mothers who drop out of school continues to worsen
- 2014-03-04 - Ash Wednesday: 200 priests go to prisons, to bring hope and encouragement