AMERICA/GUATEMALA - For the Bishops "the food crisis that affects thousands of Guatemalans is more serious than the financial crisis"
Guatemala City (Agenzia Fides) - In a message published on January 26, titled "Blessed are those who work for peace" (Mt 5:9), the Episcopal Conference of Guatemala (CEG) gathers the conclusions of the Plenary Assembly held from January 21 to 25, and stresses the need to promote "a new model of development and a new vision of economy to achieve integral development, solidarity and sustainability." To do this, according to the Bishops, the government must "offer the country a national project in the short, medium and long term, laying the groundwork for future prosperity and quality of life of Guatemalans, especially young people and children."
To implement the new economic model and development, the Bishops' document, also sent to Fides Agency, noted that "it is necessary to reform the laws governing investments in the exploitation of nonrenewable natural resources of the country, so that these economic activities are actually able to improve the Guatemalans quality of life." The food crisis that affects thousands of Guatemalans, especially children who are victims of chronic malnutrition, "is an affront to human dignity of all those who suffer" and is "more serious than financial crisis."
The CEG criticizes Parliament for not having passed the law on rural development, which is the "urgent solution" to the situation of hunger and exploitation suffered by thousands of peasant families. "The refusal of the discussion and eventual approval of the bill on rural development prepared with various sectors representing the interests of farmers, shows that lawmakers must take seriously their responsibility and mission to be true representatives of the people " write the bishops. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 28/01/2013)
- 2015-04-27 - We cannot forget the figure of Mgr. Juan Gerardi, who fought for a different Guatemala
- 2015-01-29 - A reception center for HIV children
- 2015-01-22 - Niños de Paz project to protect thousands of refugees and displaced children
- 2014-11-12 - To strengthen missionary commitment in spite of violence in the country and people's indifference
- 2014-10-28 - "City of Hope": an integral project for young landfill workers
- 2014-10-06 - Violence in Sacatepéquez continues, the government asks for the mediation of the Church
- 2014-09-29 - Child workers: the exploitation of children represents a permanent crisis
- 2014-09-25 - Violence does not stop due to a mega project in the indigenous territories: 11 dead and several wounded
- 2014-09-10 - AMERICA/GUATEMALA – Fighting poverty and undernourishment to escape underdevelopment
- 2014-02-12 - "Life is not respected any more in the country" alarm of the Church in the fight against drug trafficking