AMERICA/GUATEMALA - For the Bishops "the food crisis that affects thousands of Guatemalans is more serious than the financial crisis"
Guatemala City (Agenzia Fides) - In a message published on January 26, titled "Blessed are those who work for peace" (Mt 5:9), the Episcopal Conference of Guatemala (CEG) gathers the conclusions of the Plenary Assembly held from January 21 to 25, and stresses the need to promote "a new model of development and a new vision of economy to achieve integral development, solidarity and sustainability." To do this, according to the Bishops, the government must "offer the country a national project in the short, medium and long term, laying the groundwork for future prosperity and quality of life of Guatemalans, especially young people and children."
To implement the new economic model and development, the Bishops' document, also sent to Fides Agency, noted that "it is necessary to reform the laws governing investments in the exploitation of nonrenewable natural resources of the country, so that these economic activities are actually able to improve the Guatemalans quality of life." The food crisis that affects thousands of Guatemalans, especially children who are victims of chronic malnutrition, "is an affront to human dignity of all those who suffer" and is "more serious than financial crisis."
The CEG criticizes Parliament for not having passed the law on rural development, which is the "urgent solution" to the situation of hunger and exploitation suffered by thousands of peasant families. "The refusal of the discussion and eventual approval of the bill on rural development prepared with various sectors representing the interests of farmers, shows that lawmakers must take seriously their responsibility and mission to be true representatives of the people " write the bishops. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 28/01/2013)
- 2013-10-23 AMERICA/GUATEMALA - " They only leave crumbs, generate social conflicts and destroy the environment": Mgr. Ramazzini on foreign mining companies
- 2013-10-02 AMERICA/GUATEMALA - Over two thousand children are HIV-positive
- 2013-08-29 AMERICA/GUATEMALA - Ensuring food and health care to mothers in the early months of pregnancy to prevent born babies to die of hunger
- 2013-08-08 AMERICA/GUATEMALA - 4 villages of ethnic Q'eqchi are isolated due to severe floods, the Church intervenes
- 2013-07-31 AMERICA/GUATEMALA - Epidemic dengue due to the contagion of 3,700 people and the death of 2 children
- 2013-07-05 AMERICA/GUATEMALA - 6,707 children under five years of age suffer from acute malnutrition and risk death
- 2013-05-06 AMERICA/GUATEMALA - Clashes on mining. "One must avoid violence and protect the rights of communities," says a Bishop
- 2013-04-29 AMERICA/GUATEMALA - Indifference of the government before violence, the bishops raise their voices recalling the open wounds
- 2013-02-26 AMERICA/GUATEMALA - Year of Faith: a pastoral Letter denouncing violence
- 2013-01-28 AMERICA/GUATEMALA - For the Bishops "the food crisis that affects thousands of Guatemalans is more serious than the financial crisis"