AFRICA/MALI - The population of the cities liberated are celebrating
Bamako (Agenzia Fides) - "In the region liberated by jihadist groups, the population is celebrating" says to Fides Agency don Edmond Dembele, Secretary General of the Episcopal Conference of Mali, where the French and Malian military are advancing in the north of the Country to recapture the cities that since last March had fallen into the hands of jihadist groups. "Radio and television stations continue to transmit the manifestations of joy of city dwellers as soon as recaptured by the Malian and French forces. People are happy with the newfound freedom and the ability to return to a normal life. In Gao the Mayor is back in town and noted with satisfaction that the people are returning to their normal life as usual, " said the priest. The various jihadist groups had imposed the strict observance of Sharia law on the people, including mutilations and executions.
After liberating Gao, Malian and French soldiers reached Timbuktu, the city known as "World Heritage Site" by UNESCO (the UN agency for culture), which has been damaged yet to be quantified in its artistic heritage, made up of Sufi mausoleums and valuable collections of books of inestimable value. According to the mayor of the city, four days ago, the jihadists fleeing burned down the Ahmed Baba Institute, a bibliographic center built with funding from South Africa. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 28/01/2013)
- 2015-03-09 - The attack on the UN base in Kidal and the bombing in Bamako committed by the same group
- 2014-11-25 - Other kidnappings of children in a climate of instability due to the presence of armed groups
- 2014-11-21 - AFRICA/MALI – Ebola: annual pilgrimage postponed
- 2014-10-06 - "It is necessary to stabilize the south of Libya in order to stop the attacks in Mali", said the Secretary of the Bishops' Conference
- 2014-02-26 - AFRICA/MALI – More than 3 million suffer food shortage, some 50,000 could starve to death before the end of 2014
- 2013-09-06 - The challenges of the new leadership: National reconciliation, fight against corruption, the re-launch of economy
- 2013-08-05 - In view of the run-off Caritas Mali proposes some measures to improve the electoral process
- 2013-08-01 - Caritas: "The population of Mali has demonstrated with the vote its attachment to the institutions"
- 2013-07-31 - Caritas Mali: "Elections substantially correct"
- 2013-07-27 - Presidential elections, Caritas urges to solve the humanitarian crisis