VATICAN - The Church for leprosy patients: 547 leprosy centers in the world
Vatican City (Agenzia Fides) - The Missionary Church has a long tradition of service to leprosy patients, often abandoned even by their own families, and has always provided them, in addition to medical and spiritual assistance, even concrete possibilities of recovery and reintegration into society. In many countries discrimination against these patients is still serious and for the terrible mutilation it causes.
The Church runs 547 leprosy centers in the world, according to the latest Statistical Yearbook of the Church, by continent: in Africa 198, in America 56 (total), in Asia 285, in Europe 5 and Oceania 3. The nations that host the largest number of leprosy centers are: in Africa: Democratic Republic of Congo (32), Madagascar (29), South Africa (23), in North America: United States (1), in Central America: Mexico (8 ) in Central America-Antille: Dominican Republic (3), in South America: Brazil (17), Peru (6), Ecuador and Colombia (4), in Asia: India (220), Korea (15), in Oceania: Papua New Guinea (3).
In his message for the 60th World Day for fight against leprosy, which is celebrated on Sunday, January 27, the President of the Pontifical Council for Health Care Workers, His Exc. Mgr. Zygmunt Zimowski, recalls that "according to the most recent data of WHO, about two hundred and twenty thousand people - men, women and children contracted leprosy in 2011 and many of these new cases were diagnosed when the disease was at an advanced stage." This proves inadequate access to diagnostic facilities, the lack of training in the prevention, the need for targeted actions concerning hygiene. In fact, leprosy is a "fatal disease if not properly cured," as well as other "neglected diseases", which annually "continue to cause hundreds of thousands of victims. These are diseases that are an authentic scourge in some parts of the world, but do not have sufficient attention by the international community."
Faced with this "medical emergency," Archbishop Zimowski, especially in light of the Year of Faith, invites everyone to work towards this World Day for the fight against leprosy constitutes a new "occasion for intensifying the service of charity in our ecclesial communities so that each one of us can be a Good Samaritan for others. " (SL) (Agenzia Fides 26/01/2013)
- 2015-06-30 - VATICAN – Ceremonial gift of the pallium to 46 Metropolitan Archbishops, 13 belong to the territories of Propaganda Fide
- 2015-06-17 - VATICAN – The Pope: "the international community should act in a fitting and effective way to prevent the causes of forced migration"
- 2015-06-05 - Pope Francis to the PMS: "missionary activity is still the greatest challenge for the Church"
- 2015-05-28 - General Assembly of the Pontifical Mission Societies: "How to support the universal mission today and tomorrow"
- 2015-05-25 - The Pope's Message for World Mission Day 2015
- 2015-05-21 - The Pope recalls the Day of Prayer for the Church in China on May 24
- 2015-05-18 - Archbishop Romero will be the patron of Caritas Internationalis
- 2015-05-04 - Cardinal Filoni ordains 14 deacons from Africa and Asia: "you must have a missionary heart"
- 2015-04-29 - For a "Christian commitment" in the fight against human trafficking
- 2015-04-13 - Jubilee of Mercy: "This is a time for the Church to rediscover the meaning of the mission entrusted to her by the Lord"