AFRICA/MALI - Armed conflict exacerbates the already precarious country's education system
Barcelona (Agenzia Fides) - The armed conflicts underway in Mali continue to aggravate the already precarious education of children, and to cope with this emergency, the Spanish NGO Intervida is committed to the education of 738 displaced children in addition to the assistance to 20 thousand children who are victims of poverty. This state of insecurity and violence puts, especially children, at serious risk. It is estimated that 300 000 students were not able to return to school when the war broke out and 80% of school age refugee children do not attend the lessons. Even before the conflict, the education system in Mali was very precarious, with more than 800 thousand children excluded from the right to education.
According to the latest estimates of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR), the crisis which exploded in northern Mali earlier this year has caused the internal displacement of 200 thousand people towards Mopti, Ségou and Bamako, while 145 thousand people have sought refuge in the neighboring countries such as Mauritania, Burkina Faso, Niger, Algeria, Togo and Guinea. Intervida has been working in the region of Ségou since 2002, in favor of children's rights, and has integrated into its projects children displaced by the conflict, providing them with medical care and access to education. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 24/01/2013)
- 2015-06-24 - The peace agreement signed in a climate of emotion and conviviality
- 2015-05-25 - Despite the latest violence, one hopes in the talks in Algiers in order to reach peace
- 2015-05-06 - President of the Episcopal Conference:"Mali wants peace, Muslims have suffered the violence of the jihadists"
- 2015-03-09 - The attack on the UN base in Kidal and the bombing in Bamako committed by the same group
- 2014-11-25 - Other kidnappings of children in a climate of instability due to the presence of armed groups
- 2014-11-21 - AFRICA/MALI – Ebola: annual pilgrimage postponed
- 2014-10-06 - "It is necessary to stabilize the south of Libya in order to stop the attacks in Mali", said the Secretary of the Bishops' Conference
- 2014-02-26 - AFRICA/MALI – More than 3 million suffer food shortage, some 50,000 could starve to death before the end of 2014
- 2013-09-06 - The challenges of the new leadership: National reconciliation, fight against corruption, the re-launch of economy
- 2013-08-05 - In view of the run-off Caritas Mali proposes some measures to improve the electoral process