AFRICA/EGYPT- Children working in limestone caves
Al-Minya (Agenzia Fides) - The region of al-Minya lies along the shores of the East and West Nile in Egypt. This is a region where there is no work and most of the population lives in poverty. Almost everyone, including children, work in the limestone caves. In the African country child labor is illegal, but when there is no money, families are forced to send their children to work in the caves in order to survive. The working conditions are extremely dangerous, there are no security measures and workers have no rights. The young children work six days a week, from 5 am to about 10 hours a day with a wage that depends on what they produce. With the support of the international Christian association AIDS, 15 000 of the 25 000 workers are receiving formation on their rights, safety and health at work. In addition, to avoid children from working, the association is granting microcredit to women so that they can open a business and increase their monthly income. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 15/01/2013)
- 2015-07-23 - President al-Sisi decrees that even church buildings and mosques shall soon pay for electricity
- 2015-07-22 - A law is being requested against conversions of Christian minors without parental consent
- 2015-07-21 - The Council of Christian Churches convenes a day of prayer on the anniversary of the 1952 "Revolution"
- 2015-07-15 - Patriarch Tawadros withdraws the complaint against the militants of the "38 Copts" association
- 2015-07-07 - Coptic Patriarch Tawadros II meets the priests' wives
- 2015-07-06 - The Coptic Church of Saints Anthony and Paul distributes food to the poor Muslims for Ramadan
- 2015-07-02 - The Coptic Church after the jihadist attacks in Sinai: we are on the side of the military fighting "evil forces"
- 2015-06-30 - Condolences of the Council of Christian Churches for the assassination of Attorney General
- 2015-06-26 - Christians organize the "banquet of unity" for Muslims on the occasion of Ramadan
- 2015-06-25 - Coptic Patriarch Tawadros: the so-called "Gospel of Barnabas" is a fake