AFRICA/EGYPT - Seats "reserved" for the Copts in the next election?
Cairo (Agenzia Fides) – In the next parliamentary elections a Party of Coptic inspiration could be part of the list, with the declared function to represent the demands of the sectors of society - women, urban youth groups, indigenous Christian communities - which, although supporting the January 25 revolution, now feel marginalized by the new political leadership in Egypt. The civil rights activist Naguib Gabriel, leader of the Egyptian organization for human rights (EUHRO) envisaged the possible emergence of a new political entity a few days ago. The new party would start from a base of 15 thousand militants, and could take the name of "Egypt Beiteinu" (Egypt Our House), which reproduces the formula of Yisrael Beiteinu, the secular nationalist party created in Israel by Avigdor Liebermann to provide a platform of political representatives to Russian immigrants.
The characteristic identification of the new political formation – clarified Naguib Gabriel - would be the uncompromising assertion of the principle of citizenship, social justice and the protection of human dignity. In any case, according to the activist, the Copts should see their presence increased in the lists of secular parties or Islamic moderates. In the new Parliament - says Gabriel – a part of the seats will be reserved for Copts, to ensure their adequate representation in the country, now led by a government of Islamic imprint, which has a new constitution strongly guided by the principles of Sharia .
Contacted by Fides Agency, Bishop Adel Zaki, OFM, Apostolic Vicar of Alexandria, noted that "the Coptic Orthodox Church and the Coptic Catholic Church also refuse that there is a party in Egypt labeled as the Party of Christians. All prefer that Christians take part in groups and plural political parties and collaborate with others. In addition - adds the Bishop – liberal sectors are aiming to appear in a single list, where they should focus all their strength. For this single plan, each division would be counterproductive." (GV) (Agenzia Fides 14/01/2013)
- 2014-03-06 AFRICA/EGYPT – Coptic politician Shukrallah: what worries me is the possible return of the military to power
- 2014-03-01 AFRICA/EGYPT - 62nd Catholic Festival of Egyptian Cinema opening ceremony
- 2014-02-25 AFRICA/EGYPT – New rules for election of Orthodox Coptic Pope examined by civil authorities
- 2014-02-25 AFRICA/LYBIA - “These extremists are shedding innocent blood to get more visibility” says Archbishop Martinelli
- 2014-02-24 AFRICA/EGYPT - Coptic Orthodox Christian is the first woman elected to lead a political party in Egypt
- 2014-02-18 AFRICA/EGYPT - Bishop Kyrillos: positive analysis for the first year of the National Council of Churches
- 2014-02-17 AFRICA/EGYPT - Synod of the Coptic Orthodox Church on the rules for the election of the Patriarch
- 2014-02-12 AFRICA/EGYPT - Patriarch Tawadros to the European Union: help Egypt
- 2014-02-10 AFRICA/EGYPT - Bishop Zaki: Christian churches pray together for the future of the Country
- 2014-02-06 AFRICA/EGYPT - Al-Sisi to run for President. Bishop Fahim Hanna: he has the support of the people, but the Church does not take sides