AFRICA/EGYPT - Seats "reserved" for the Copts in the next election?
Cairo (Agenzia Fides) – In the next parliamentary elections a Party of Coptic inspiration could be part of the list, with the declared function to represent the demands of the sectors of society - women, urban youth groups, indigenous Christian communities - which, although supporting the January 25 revolution, now feel marginalized by the new political leadership in Egypt. The civil rights activist Naguib Gabriel, leader of the Egyptian organization for human rights (EUHRO) envisaged the possible emergence of a new political entity a few days ago. The new party would start from a base of 15 thousand militants, and could take the name of "Egypt Beiteinu" (Egypt Our House), which reproduces the formula of Yisrael Beiteinu, the secular nationalist party created in Israel by Avigdor Liebermann to provide a platform of political representatives to Russian immigrants.
The characteristic identification of the new political formation – clarified Naguib Gabriel - would be the uncompromising assertion of the principle of citizenship, social justice and the protection of human dignity. In any case, according to the activist, the Copts should see their presence increased in the lists of secular parties or Islamic moderates. In the new Parliament - says Gabriel – a part of the seats will be reserved for Copts, to ensure their adequate representation in the country, now led by a government of Islamic imprint, which has a new constitution strongly guided by the principles of Sharia .
Contacted by Fides Agency, Bishop Adel Zaki, OFM, Apostolic Vicar of Alexandria, noted that "the Coptic Orthodox Church and the Coptic Catholic Church also refuse that there is a party in Egypt labeled as the Party of Christians. All prefer that Christians take part in groups and plural political parties and collaborate with others. In addition - adds the Bishop – liberal sectors are aiming to appear in a single list, where they should focus all their strength. For this single plan, each division would be counterproductive." (GV) (Agenzia Fides 14/01/2013)
- 2015-05-22 - Patriarch Tawadros speaks at the conference on the "Coptic Diaspora"
- 2015-05-21 - The police free four kidnapped Copts
- 2015-05-20 - Four Copts kidnapped on the way to the Marian shrine of Jabal al-Tair
- 2015-05-19 - The Arab League welcomes the agreement between the Holy See and the State of Palestine
- 2015-05-18 - Morsi condemned to death. Coptic Catholic Bishop: "the Church never justifies death penalty for anyone"
- 2015-05-13 - President al-Sisi: so far little has been done to renew "religious speech"
- 2015-05-12 - Positive comments and controversy over the case of the Ethiopian Christians freed in Libya thanks to the Egyptian intervention
- 2015-05-05 - Coptic Patriarch Tawadros II: the possibility to celebrate Easter together on the third Sunday in April is being studied
- 2015-04-29 - Reaffirmed the right of Christian workers to start work later on Sundays
- 2015-04-28 - Sinai jihadist groups threaten Copts for their support to President al-Sisi