AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC - The tragedy of child soldiers continues, forced to kill and sexually exploited
Bangui (Agenzia Fides) - About 2,500 children have been recruited for armed conflict both by the Séléka Rebel Alliance troups, which already control 75% of the country, and forces of the Government of the Central African Republic. This is what is said in a statement made by the head of UNICEF in Bangui to the African digital newspaper Afrik.com. Many of these children, aged between 3 and 18, come from the weaker sections of the country. The males are forced to fight, carry military equipment or act as messengers; girls instead have to cook or are sexually exploited. According to these statements, the recruitment of young soldiers dates back to long before the outbreak of the current conflict in mid-December 2012. The situation of street children is particularly worrying who, poor and abandoned to their fate, are even more vulnerable. The rebels kidnapped children who have lost their parents and become an even easier prey. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 10/01/2013)
AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC
- 2014-04-10 - Solidarity Visit to Bangui of a U.S. interfaith delegation
- 2014-04-08 - "The only institution that still functions is the Catholic Church" says the Archbishop of Douala on a visit in Bangui
- 2014-03-20 - "The rainy season is approaching, emergency aid for displaced people is urgently needed" say religious leaders
- 2014-03-17 - "The conflict is not about religion", said Ban Ki-moon during the meeting with religious leaders for peace
- 2014-03-12 - "The situation has improved in Bozoum, but the situation remains precarious in the rest of the Country", says a missionary
- 2014-03-05 - Imam of Bangui: "If we want peace, we must be impartial and condemn all forms of violence"
- 2014-02-26 - AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC – Work goes on at Bangui university despite chaos
- 2014-02-24 - “churches and mosques must be rid of armed infiltrators”: say the Catholic Archbishop and the Imam of Bangui
- 2014-02-18 - "The Anti Balaka are doing more damage than Seleka", says a missionary
- 2014-02-14 - "God exists and God knows"