VATICAN - Pauline Jaricot, fruitful fidelity to Christ and farsighted commitment to evangelization
Rome (Agenzia Fides) - "If St. Franesco Xavier was the enthusiastic missionary of evangelization, Jaricot was the one who saw in the support of evangelization 'an important duty of the People of God', which called for spiritual and material participation ": these are the words of the Prefect of the Congregation for the Evangelization of Peoples, Cardinal Fernando Filoni, during the homily of the Mass he presided last night, January 9th, in the church of Trinita dei Monti in Rome at the end of the celebrations for the 150th anniversary of the death of the Venerable Pauline Marie Jaricot (1799-1862) and the 50th anniversary of the decree on her heroic virtues. Pauline Marie Jaricot is the founder of the Pontifical Society for the Propagation of the Faith and the movement of the Living Rosary (see Fides 08/01/2013, 09/01/2013).
"We are at this time spiritually united to Saint-Nizier - the Cardinal said - the church since 1935 hosts the body of the Venerable Pauline-Marie Jaricot in Lyon. A bridge of prayer is fullfilled in this historic and well-known church of Trinita dei Monti and Saint-Nizier." The Prefect of the Congregation then retraced the steps of Jaricot’s main biography, stressing that "her life and the Society she founded is the real picture of what the Apostle John told us: 'love others as God loved us.'
The love of God that Jaricot transmitted to others through her life and the Society she founded, continues to be popular even today through the Society for the Propagation of the Faith."
The celebration of these two important anniversaries occur "during the Year of Faith, in which all Christians are called to reflect on the gift received in Baptism, often forgotten if not rejected," said Cardinal Filoni, recalling that " Jaricot’s heroic virtues do not consist in a series of miraculous events, but in that fruitful fidelity to Christ, to whom she devoted herself both in good times and in those difficult and tormented moments, as well as in the long-term vision of a commitment to evangelization, so that all people get to know Christ and of the merciful love of God." (SL) (Agenzia Fides 10/01/2013)
- 2014-10-01 - The feast of St. Therese of Lisieux, Patroness of the Missions, opens the Mission Month
- 2014-09-24 - Pope's appeal to the countries of Africa affected by the ebola virus
- 2014-09-22 - Bishops, called to give "a genuine missionary impulse" to their diocesan communities
- 2014-09-13 - "Strong families are our best defense against poverty": meeting on the role of the family in the global economic crisis
- 2014-08-19 - Cardinal Filoni thanks the Pope for his prayers
- 2014-08-18 - Press release of the Patriarchate of Babylon of the Chaldeans
- 2014-08-13 - Declaration of the Pontifical Council for Interreligious Dialogue
- 2014-08-12 - Cardinal Fernando Filoni leaves today for Iraq.
- 2014-08-11 - Pope Francis meets with Cardinal Fernando Filoni, his Envoy in Iraq
- 2014-07-14 - VATICAN – Pope makes heartfelt appeal "to continue to pray for peace in the Holy Land"