AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - WFP condemns the looting of its food warehouses
Bangui (Agenzia Fides) - Hundreds of tons of food aid have disappeared from the warehouses of the World Food Programme (WFP) in at least three locations in the Central African Republic conquered by the rebel coalition Seleka. This was revealed by a spokesman of the WFP headquarters in Geneva. The warehouse in Bangui, which was not looted, contains enough food to feed 30,000 people for a week, but if the security situation were to deteriorate further one may not be able to assist populations in need.
Meanwhile, on the eve of peace talks that opened yesterday in Libreville, capital of Gabon, President François Bozizé said he did not intend to resign, as demanded by the rebels, but is available to form a government of national unity.
Bozizé seems to have taken a firmer stance after being secured the support of the South African troops and those of FOMAC (the military mission of Central African States). In addition to these military, in Central Africa there are about 600 soldiers sent from Paris to protect its citizens and those of other nationalities, and 1,400 Ugandan soldiers backed by U.S. special forces, who in the eastern part of the Country are hunting LRA (Lord's Resistance Army) rebels.
The Central African crisis therefore involves several Countries with their interests. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 09/01/2013)
- 2014-08-18 - The Archbishop of Bangui to politicians "stop the suffering of the people as soon as possible"
- 2014-07-17 - Civil society presents a scheme to lead the country out of the crisis
- 2014-07-11 - "Immediate start of the process of disarmament to ensure safety" ask religious leaders and politicians
- 2014-07-09 - 17 people who sought refuge in the area of the Cathedral in Bambari have been killed
- 2014-07-08 - AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA – The Cathedral in Bambari besieged by rebels
- 2014-07-01 - Twelve thousand refugees in the Cathedral of Bambari, the Bishop's appeal to Fides
- 2014-06-30 - "Civil society organizes itself, but authorities do not always help", says a missionary
- 2014-06-12 - The Archbishop of Bangui brings aid to 600 Muslims fleeing violence
- 2014-06-04 - New attacks against medical facilities and teams who work in Ndélé
- 2014-05-30 - The attack on Our Lady of Fatima parish in which a priest was killed was carried out by foreigners