AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - WFP condemns the looting of its food warehouses
Bangui (Agenzia Fides) - Hundreds of tons of food aid have disappeared from the warehouses of the World Food Programme (WFP) in at least three locations in the Central African Republic conquered by the rebel coalition Seleka. This was revealed by a spokesman of the WFP headquarters in Geneva. The warehouse in Bangui, which was not looted, contains enough food to feed 30,000 people for a week, but if the security situation were to deteriorate further one may not be able to assist populations in need.
Meanwhile, on the eve of peace talks that opened yesterday in Libreville, capital of Gabon, President François Bozizé said he did not intend to resign, as demanded by the rebels, but is available to form a government of national unity.
Bozizé seems to have taken a firmer stance after being secured the support of the South African troops and those of FOMAC (the military mission of Central African States). In addition to these military, in Central Africa there are about 600 soldiers sent from Paris to protect its citizens and those of other nationalities, and 1,400 Ugandan soldiers backed by U.S. special forces, who in the eastern part of the Country are hunting LRA (Lord's Resistance Army) rebels.
The Central African crisis therefore involves several Countries with their interests. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 09/01/2013)
- 2014-03-05 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - Imam of Bangui: "If we want peace, we must be impartial and condemn all forms of violence"
- 2014-02-26 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC – Work goes on at Bangui university despite chaos
- 2014-02-24 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC - “churches and mosques must be rid of armed infiltrators”: say the Catholic Archbishop and the Imam of Bangui
- 2014-02-18 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "The Anti Balaka are doing more damage than Seleka", says a missionary
- 2014-02-14 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "God exists and God knows"
- 2014-02-10 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - Religious leaders’ appeal: "Do not drag religion into political conflict"
- 2014-02-07 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "Christians and Muslims: the same blood, the same language, the same Country"
- 2014-02-04 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "The situation in Bouar is a bit calmer although there are reprisals against the Muslims"
- 2014-01-27 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA – Are the Anti Balaka really a "Christian militia"?
- 2014-01-23 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "The State has collapsed, UN intervention is needed": appeal of the Archbishop of Bangui and the Imam