AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - WFP condemns the looting of its food warehouses
Bangui (Agenzia Fides) - Hundreds of tons of food aid have disappeared from the warehouses of the World Food Programme (WFP) in at least three locations in the Central African Republic conquered by the rebel coalition Seleka. This was revealed by a spokesman of the WFP headquarters in Geneva. The warehouse in Bangui, which was not looted, contains enough food to feed 30,000 people for a week, but if the security situation were to deteriorate further one may not be able to assist populations in need.
Meanwhile, on the eve of peace talks that opened yesterday in Libreville, capital of Gabon, President François Bozizé said he did not intend to resign, as demanded by the rebels, but is available to form a government of national unity.
Bozizé seems to have taken a firmer stance after being secured the support of the South African troops and those of FOMAC (the military mission of Central African States). In addition to these military, in Central Africa there are about 600 soldiers sent from Paris to protect its citizens and those of other nationalities, and 1,400 Ugandan soldiers backed by U.S. special forces, who in the eastern part of the Country are hunting LRA (Lord's Resistance Army) rebels.
The Central African crisis therefore involves several Countries with their interests. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 09/01/2013)
- 2015-03-26 - Caritas Bangui distributes aid to the displaced Muslims in Mbaiki
- 2015-03-03 - Archbishop of Bangui visits two militia leaders in prison
- 2015-02-24 - “Our country can be compared to a desert, where we must combat the temptations of the devil” says Archbishop Nzapalainga
- 2015-02-06 - "The conflict is political not religious" say three participants
- 2015-01-28 - Caritas: more funds needed for refugees from the Central African Republic
- 2015-01-14 - "Signs of hope but still too much violence, also due to the strong movement of weapons", say the Bishops
- 2015-01-13 - The situation is improving, the Bishops launch a campaign for social cohesion
- 2015-01-07 - Archbishop of Bangui threatened with death while bringing assistance to the displaced
- 2014-12-30 - Archbishop of Bangui pays a visit to former Seleka rebels again
- 2014-12-09 - “Where are you, perpetrator of violence in Central Africa?” demands the Archbishop of Bangui