AFRICA/SUDAN - Agreement between Sudan and South Sudan in Addis Ababa
Khartoum (Agenzia Fides) - The Presidents of Sudan and South Sudan have reached an agreement to demarcate the boundaries between the two Countries and create a series of administrative, legislative bodies and police in the region of Abyei, disputed by the two States. Salva Kiir Mayardit and Omar Al Bashir held a two-day summit in the Ethiopian capital, Addis Ababa, on 4 and 5 January, in order to overcome the difficulties in the implementation of nine cooperation agreements they signed last September.
The African Union said that the two Presidents also agreed to follow a schedule to be prepared by January 13 for the "rapid, unconditional and coordinated implementation " of all agreements signed on September 27, 2012. Kiir and Bashir finally decided to meet again to discuss the final status of Abyei, as soon as the new bodies that administer the territory will be operational. (LM) (Agenzia Fides 07/01/2013)
- 2013-11-15 AFRICA/SUDAN - Armed militiamen attack farmers and take turns raping women farmers in North Darfur
- 2013-11-12 AFRICA/SUDAN - 7000 inhabitants in South Darfur do not have drinking water and basic services
- 2013-11-06 AFRICA/SUDAN - Air raid on a school in the area of the Nuba Mountains: people killed and wounded
- 2013-10-15 AFRICA/SUDAN - Training courses for Sudanese teachers in refugee camps in Chad
- 2013-09-27 AFRICA/SUDAN - Dozens killed in clashes in Khartoum during the protests for the rise in fuel prices
- 2013-09-26 AFRICA/SUDAN - Increasing acts of intimidation against the Church
- 2013-09-25 AFRICA/SUDAN - No food for 10,000 displaced people in 18 months in West Darfur
- 2013-09-12 AFRICA/SUDAN - New bombings in the Nuba Mountains in Sudan and South Sudan have been denounced
- 2013-07-26 AFRICA/SUDAN - "Converted being tracked down"
- 2013-07-22 AFRICA/SUDAN - Humanitarian emergency in Kalma refugee camp in South Darfur