AFRICA/GUINEA - A new strain of cholera continues to increase infection
Conakry (Agenzia Fides) - This year a new strain of cholera has infected more than 7000 people in Guinea. According to a group of epidemiologists it is an atypical variant of Vibrio cholerae O1 El Tor which secretes a toxin more harmful than that of conventional strains, creating a more virulent infection with more severe symptoms and increased risk of infection. It seems that this strain arrived in Guinea from Sierra Leone, where cholera has infected this year 22.345 people. Experts are alarmed as El Tor anticipates even more serious strains and believe that the variant has been imported recently. Africa, in particular the western part, is the only continent in the world where cholera cases are increasing. This type of strain was present in Zimbabwe and in the basin of Lake Chad in 2009, and is currently in Haiti. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 19/12/2012)
- 2014-06-24 - Control and prevent outbreaks of cholera with a highly effective oral vaccine
- 2014-06-05 - Ebola outbreak in West Africa
- 2014-03-29 - Outbreak of Ebola: "There is no treatment or vaccine, the priority is to isolate suspected cases"
- 2014-03-06 - AFRICA/GUINEA – A campaign to vaccinate 400,000 children against measles
- 2014-02-04 - AFRICA/GUINEA – Guinea: a new African hub for cocaine destined to Europe?
- 2012-12-19 - A new strain of cholera continues to increase infection
- 2012-12-10 - "Mary, help us grow in faith": thousands of faithful to the Marian pilgrimage in Cacheu
- 2012-04-13 - Uncertain situation in Bissau after a coup attempt
- 2011-12-13 - Cholera cases are reduced thanks to enhanced prevention
- 2011-10-03 - President Condé urges the opposition to dialogue after the serious incidents of September 27