AMERICA/BRAZIL - Priest murdered during a robbery
Novo Hamburgo (Agenzia Fides) - A Brazilian priest Fr. Eduardo Teixeira (35) was murdered on the evening of Sunday, December 16, in the village Novo Hamburgo (state of Rio Grande do Sul), during a robbery. According to a note sent to Fides Agency by the National Conference of Brazilian Bishops, Fr. Teixeira was with Fr. Rafael Barbieri when they were at a traffic light in the neighborhood Jardim Mauá and were approached by two robbers.
According to the testimony of the priest who survived, the two priests were forced to follow the criminals in a park, and after giving them the wallet, Fr. Eduardo was hit by at least two shots of gunfire while attempting to return to the car.
Fr. Teixeira, was a pastor of Santa Terezinha, de Campo Bom, and this month he would have celebrated three years of priesthood. The funeral was held yesterday, on December 18, in the church of Campo Bom in the presence of many faithful. The priest’s body was buried in the Catholic Cemetery de Campo Bom.
He was born on June 19, 1977, in Campo Bom, Fr.Teixeira was ordained a priest on 18 December 2009.
In 1992 he entered the Minor Seminary of Mary Help, in Dois Irmãos. After studying philosophy and theology at the Major Seminary São Luiz Gonzaga, in Viamão, from 2003 to 2008, he worked as a teacher in the Institute Estatale "Professora Nena" until he was ordained a priest. He was recently appointed pastor of the Parish São Jorge, in the Campina (SL) district, a position he would have started in January 2013. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 19/12/2012)
- 2014-04-07 - CIMI delivers a document on the suffering of the indigenous peoples of the Amazon to the Pope
- 2014-04-04 - "He taught us that in order for the Gospel to be proclaimed it must be acculturated": Brazil and Spain in celebration for the canonization of "Father Anchieta"
- 2014-04-02 - "For a future in freedom and democracy": Bishops' message after 50 years since the military coup
- 2014-03-26 - The Brazilian Church accompanies the World Cup inviting to combat trafficking
- 2014-03-04 - " Fraternity and human trafficking", a constant struggle against this scourge
- 2014-02-17 - "Play for Life": thousands of religious mobilize against human trafficking
- 2014-02-06 - Cardinal Filoni: "The announcement ad gentes is part of the responsibility that all the particular Churches have toward Christ"
- 2014-02-04 - Cardinal Filoni to Brazilian Bishops: The II Vatican Council and the missionary dimension of the Church
- 2014-02-03 - 50 years since the II Vatican Council: missionary commitment, consecrated life, episcopal ministry of Bishops
- 2014-01-23 - Prisons do not re-educate and are in crisis: intervention of the Archbishop of Rio