AMERICA/BRAZIL - Priest murdered during a robbery
Novo Hamburgo (Agenzia Fides) - A Brazilian priest Fr. Eduardo Teixeira (35) was murdered on the evening of Sunday, December 16, in the village Novo Hamburgo (state of Rio Grande do Sul), during a robbery. According to a note sent to Fides Agency by the National Conference of Brazilian Bishops, Fr. Teixeira was with Fr. Rafael Barbieri when they were at a traffic light in the neighborhood Jardim Mauá and were approached by two robbers.
According to the testimony of the priest who survived, the two priests were forced to follow the criminals in a park, and after giving them the wallet, Fr. Eduardo was hit by at least two shots of gunfire while attempting to return to the car.
Fr. Teixeira, was a pastor of Santa Terezinha, de Campo Bom, and this month he would have celebrated three years of priesthood. The funeral was held yesterday, on December 18, in the church of Campo Bom in the presence of many faithful. The priest’s body was buried in the Catholic Cemetery de Campo Bom.
He was born on June 19, 1977, in Campo Bom, Fr.Teixeira was ordained a priest on 18 December 2009.
In 1992 he entered the Minor Seminary of Mary Help, in Dois Irmãos. After studying philosophy and theology at the Major Seminary São Luiz Gonzaga, in Viamão, from 2003 to 2008, he worked as a teacher in the Institute Estatale "Professora Nena" until he was ordained a priest. He was recently appointed pastor of the Parish São Jorge, in the Campina (SL) district, a position he would have started in January 2013. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 19/12/2012)
- 2015-07-01 - The indifference of the state in the face of a situation of injustice denounced by the Bishop of Dourados
- 2015-06-25 - More than 20,000 people every week prepare themselves for the feast of Our Lady of Perpetual Help
- 2015-06-23 - Report of CIMI: suicide and infant mortality are decimating the indigenous population
- 2015-06-16 - On the border between Peru and Bolivia, crossroads of migrants
- 2015-06-16 - "No to prejudice, yes to rights and participation": week of Migrants
- 2015-06-10 - From Haiti to Brazil in the hands of human traffickers, with the hope of a better future
- 2015-05-27 - Bishops’ refelection: "Thinking Brazil", social inequalities in Brazil
- 2015-05-22 - More than 630,000 signatures for political Reform and transparent elections
- 2015-05-02 - Bishops' Message for May 1st: "We cannot live with slave labor"
- 2015-04-29 - "They kill to intimidate": another indigenous leader killed, the complaint of CIMI