AMERICA/BRAZIL - Priest murdered during a robbery
Novo Hamburgo (Agenzia Fides) - A Brazilian priest Fr. Eduardo Teixeira (35) was murdered on the evening of Sunday, December 16, in the village Novo Hamburgo (state of Rio Grande do Sul), during a robbery. According to a note sent to Fides Agency by the National Conference of Brazilian Bishops, Fr. Teixeira was with Fr. Rafael Barbieri when they were at a traffic light in the neighborhood Jardim Mauá and were approached by two robbers.
According to the testimony of the priest who survived, the two priests were forced to follow the criminals in a park, and after giving them the wallet, Fr. Eduardo was hit by at least two shots of gunfire while attempting to return to the car.
Fr. Teixeira, was a pastor of Santa Terezinha, de Campo Bom, and this month he would have celebrated three years of priesthood. The funeral was held yesterday, on December 18, in the church of Campo Bom in the presence of many faithful. The priest’s body was buried in the Catholic Cemetery de Campo Bom.
He was born on June 19, 1977, in Campo Bom, Fr.Teixeira was ordained a priest on 18 December 2009.
In 1992 he entered the Minor Seminary of Mary Help, in Dois Irmãos. After studying philosophy and theology at the Major Seminary São Luiz Gonzaga, in Viamão, from 2003 to 2008, he worked as a teacher in the Institute Estatale "Professora Nena" until he was ordained a priest. He was recently appointed pastor of the Parish São Jorge, in the Campina (SL) district, a position he would have started in January 2013. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 19/12/2012)
- 2014-12-15 - cultural immersion before the mission
- 2014-12-02 - In Haiti, the needs are still so many, the commitment of the religious women of Brazil continues
- 2014-11-24 - There are now 500 thousand signatures which have been collected for the Democratic Political Reform
- 2014-11-20 - Support of the Church with regards to the formation of political consciousness for democratic reform
- 2014-10-27 - Beatification of the co-founder of the Scalabrinians: "May the whole Church be missionary of truth, mother Assunta did it"
- 2014-10-27 - Dilma Rousseff re-elected President with a narrow margin: she will have to face recession, corruption and discontent
- 2014-10-24 - AMERICA/BRAZIL – Bishops’ statement: "No backtrack on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples"
- 2014-09-24 - Missionary Campaign 2014: One cannot combat human trafficking without combatting poverty and inequality
- 2014-09-18 - Elections of October 5: corruption enters the electoral debate
- 2014-09-17 - Join forces for joint action: establishment of the "Red Eclesial Pan-Amazon"