AMERICA/BRAZIL - Priest murdered during a robbery
Novo Hamburgo (Agenzia Fides) - A Brazilian priest Fr. Eduardo Teixeira (35) was murdered on the evening of Sunday, December 16, in the village Novo Hamburgo (state of Rio Grande do Sul), during a robbery. According to a note sent to Fides Agency by the National Conference of Brazilian Bishops, Fr. Teixeira was with Fr. Rafael Barbieri when they were at a traffic light in the neighborhood Jardim Mauá and were approached by two robbers.
According to the testimony of the priest who survived, the two priests were forced to follow the criminals in a park, and after giving them the wallet, Fr. Eduardo was hit by at least two shots of gunfire while attempting to return to the car.
Fr. Teixeira, was a pastor of Santa Terezinha, de Campo Bom, and this month he would have celebrated three years of priesthood. The funeral was held yesterday, on December 18, in the church of Campo Bom in the presence of many faithful. The priest’s body was buried in the Catholic Cemetery de Campo Bom.
He was born on June 19, 1977, in Campo Bom, Fr.Teixeira was ordained a priest on 18 December 2009.
In 1992 he entered the Minor Seminary of Mary Help, in Dois Irmãos. After studying philosophy and theology at the Major Seminary São Luiz Gonzaga, in Viamão, from 2003 to 2008, he worked as a teacher in the Institute Estatale "Professora Nena" until he was ordained a priest. He was recently appointed pastor of the Parish São Jorge, in the Campina (SL) district, a position he would have started in January 2013. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 19/12/2012)
- 2015-05-22 - More than 630,000 signatures for political Reform and transparent elections
- 2015-05-02 - Bishops' Message for May 1st: "We cannot live with slave labor"
- 2015-04-29 - "They kill to intimidate": another indigenous leader killed, the complaint of CIMI
- 2015-04-28 - Theme chosen for Missionary Campaign 2015 in Brazil: "Mission is to serve"
- 2015-04-15 - Report of the Pastoral Commission for Land: Homicides in the rural area increase
- 2015-04-13 - First missionary experience of fifty young men and women religious in the Amazon
- 2015-04-09 - Twelve million people live in favelas: educational projects for children
- 2015-04-01 - The Bishops' of Paranà: "We too suffer with the people ..."
- 2015-03-18 - Report on conflicts over water in Brazil: 42 000 families involved
- 2015-03-05 - A march for Women's Day in Brasilia:"Religions for women's rights"