AMERICA/PARAGUAY - The Family and the Year of Faith at the centre of the 40th mission in Argentina
Asuncion (Agenzia Fides) – Conclusion of the 12-day pastoral mission of 33 missionaries of the Church of Paraguay addressed to their countrymen who emigrated to the Argentine territory. Led by His Exc. Mgr. Claudio Silvero, Auxiliary Bishop of Encarnación (Paraguay), the missionaries worked with the team of Paraguayan Équipe of Pastoral care in Argentina (E.P.P.A.). This missionary activity has been going on for 40 consecutive years, to spiritually support Paraguayan emigrants in Argentina and bring them a message of hope. According to the note sent by the Episcopal Conference of Paraguay to Fides Agency, this year the mission wanted to deepen the theme of faith and family in the context of the Year of Faith.
Mgr. Silvero commented: "It was God’s grace, for the 33 missionaries, including 16 priests, 10 religious and seven deacons. The basic theme was faith and family. It was a very interesting experience. Our pastoral work managed to reach 223 chapels of Paraguayan immigrants, for 12 days, we worked very hard.
Precisely in this Year of Faith, for the Church of Paraguay it was necessary to do this act of charity and assistance ".
The EPPA was founded in 1970 with a group of young people, the first mission took place in 1972. Today it is structured in groups based in more than 300 Argentine districts where there are emigrants of Paraguay. Équipes in the area are active in four Argentinian archdioceses: Buenos Aires, La Plata and Mercedes-Luján and Rosario. Its delegates are present in 12 dioceses of Argentina (Avellaneda-Lanús, Quilmes, Lomas de Zamora, San Justo, Laferrere; Moron, Merlo-Moreno, San Martin, San Miguel Zárate-Campana, and Mar del Plata). (CE) (Agenzia Fides 17/12/2012)
- 2014-06-04 - Tension among the population of Ñacunday and Saint Lucia
- 2014-05-27 - Isolated due to the rain and without the aid of the authorities, "but we are also Paraguayans", cries the Vicar Apostolic of Chaco Paraguayo
- 2014-04-10 - A march for the freedom of 5 peasants on hunger strike, accused of the Curuguaty massacre
- 2014-03-27 - General strike in the country; the Church supports those demanding justice and social solidarity
- 2014-03-07 - Dialogue between the Church and civil authorities on the problems regarding the population
- 2014-03-06 - The Church calls for "fair justice"
- 2014-02-24 - Campaign to vaccinate children against measles and rubella
- 2014-02-21 - Half a million child laborers, exploited in activities which are dangerous to health and safety
- 2014-01-08 - A group of religious women involved in the protection of young orphans
- 2013-12-10 - "The people demand justice": the cry which concludes the feast of Our Lady of Caacupé