AMERICA/ARGENTINA - Delays in learning and growth for adolescent workers
Buenos Aires (Agenzia Fides) - Child labor in Argentina continues to be a very serious problem. Among the disadvantages caused by the phenomenon what emerges is the narrow margin of time available that these children have to study and play. Recently the Catholic University of Argentina (UCA) published a report "The state of the situation of youth work" where it appears that this negative trend is generated even when children and adolescents are engaged in heavy housework, especially in families where adults of reference are away from home for many hours or where there are many children to look after. From some research results what can be seen is that between 2010 and 2011 the percentage of children from 5 to 13 years of age, and adolescents, from 14 to 17 who live in the city and employed in production activities decreased slightly, from 12.3% to 11.8%. The study showed that, in general, the work of children and adolescents affects their educational status. In fact, the lack of time for study and fatigue with which they attend classes generate a delay in the rate of learning and growth. In 2011, 34.6% of children who worked presented educational deficiencies. 27.2% of adolescents living in households without social assistance were working, compared to 24.3% and 16.5% of those from households with higher incomes and social protection. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 12/12/2012)
- 2015-10-06 - Mgr. Gimeno in view of the elections: "We must learn to choose before voting"
- 2015-09-24 - Over 40% of the poor in the capital is under 14 years of age
- 2015-09-23 - Argentinean missionary animators of "mission houses" in Cuba, a testimony
- 2015-09-15 - One death due to malnutrition every 10 hours, 2 out of 10 children do not have adequate food
- 2015-09-14 - The Bishops: malnutrition and poverty in the country, a "terrible reality"
- 2015-09-10 - "Cura Gaucho" on the path towards canonization, the people of Villa Cura Brochero celebrate
- 2015-09-02 - National Biblical campaign on the 50th anniversary of the "Dei Verbum"
- 2015-09-01 - "We cannot accept violence, we have to react": the Archbishop of Cordoba at the funeral of the murdered priest
- 2015-08-31 - Meeting of the PMS of Cone sur: from Ad Gentes to Evangelii Gaudium
- 2015-08-18 - “They steal not only the people’s money but also their hope” Bishop Lozano denounces