AMERICA/ARGENTINA - Delays in learning and growth for adolescent workers
Buenos Aires (Agenzia Fides) - Child labor in Argentina continues to be a very serious problem. Among the disadvantages caused by the phenomenon what emerges is the narrow margin of time available that these children have to study and play. Recently the Catholic University of Argentina (UCA) published a report "The state of the situation of youth work" where it appears that this negative trend is generated even when children and adolescents are engaged in heavy housework, especially in families where adults of reference are away from home for many hours or where there are many children to look after. From some research results what can be seen is that between 2010 and 2011 the percentage of children from 5 to 13 years of age, and adolescents, from 14 to 17 who live in the city and employed in production activities decreased slightly, from 12.3% to 11.8%. The study showed that, in general, the work of children and adolescents affects their educational status. In fact, the lack of time for study and fatigue with which they attend classes generate a delay in the rate of learning and growth. In 2011, 34.6% of children who worked presented educational deficiencies. 27.2% of adolescents living in households without social assistance were working, compared to 24.3% and 16.5% of those from households with higher incomes and social protection. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 12/12/2012)
- 2014-07-08 - After 38 years the killers of the Bishop who fought for hope and dignity have been condemned
- 2014-06-27 - AMERICA/ARGENTINA – Social Week begins, to promote "the culture of meeting"
- 2014-06-26 - A city in march against consumption and illicit drug trafficking
- 2014-06-25 - Bishops concerned about the national economic situation
- 2014-06-18 - A video against drugs: the Church launches a campaign on social networking sites
- 2014-05-28 - Church and civil authorities together for the safety of citizens
- 2014-05-26 - After 10 years, President Kirchner takes part in the Te Deum for the national holiday
- 2014-05-14 - "The country is sick of violence": proposal of Bishops to respond to this reality
- 2014-05-05 - Episcopal Assembly begins: "It is impossible to get used to drugs and violence"
- 2014-04-10 - For the Bishop of Posadas: "Lynchings, a serious social problem to be solved together"