AMERICA/ARGENTINA - Delays in learning and growth for adolescent workers
Buenos Aires (Agenzia Fides) - Child labor in Argentina continues to be a very serious problem. Among the disadvantages caused by the phenomenon what emerges is the narrow margin of time available that these children have to study and play. Recently the Catholic University of Argentina (UCA) published a report "The state of the situation of youth work" where it appears that this negative trend is generated even when children and adolescents are engaged in heavy housework, especially in families where adults of reference are away from home for many hours or where there are many children to look after. From some research results what can be seen is that between 2010 and 2011 the percentage of children from 5 to 13 years of age, and adolescents, from 14 to 17 who live in the city and employed in production activities decreased slightly, from 12.3% to 11.8%. The study showed that, in general, the work of children and adolescents affects their educational status. In fact, the lack of time for study and fatigue with which they attend classes generate a delay in the rate of learning and growth. In 2011, 34.6% of children who worked presented educational deficiencies. 27.2% of adolescents living in households without social assistance were working, compared to 24.3% and 16.5% of those from households with higher incomes and social protection. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 12/12/2012)
- 2015-11-25 - New President: the Church hopes stronger solidarity policies for vulnerable sectors
- 2015-11-20 - Thousands occupy houses and land, the Bishop denounces the absence of state authorities
- 2015-11-17 - Family, formation of priests, environmental problems: the topics analyzed by the Bishops
- 2015-11-11 - 140 years ago the first group of Salesian missionaries arrived in Patagonia
- 2015-11-09 - Assembly of Bishops in progress: Eucharistic Congress, family and priestly formation Buenos
- 2015-11-05 - Mining company withdraws from La Rioja: statement of the Bishop and the Deputy Governor
- 2015-11-04 - The request of the diocese to the State: "Do not suspend the subsidies to schools"
- 2015-11-03 - National Day of the Sick, an opportunity aimed to arouse greater sensitivity
- 2015-10-26 - AMERICA/ARGENTINA – First stage of Bishop’s beatification process expected to take two years
- 2015-10-06 - Mgr. Gimeno in view of the elections: "We must learn to choose before voting"