AMERICA/ARGENTINA - Delays in learning and growth for adolescent workers
Buenos Aires (Agenzia Fides) - Child labor in Argentina continues to be a very serious problem. Among the disadvantages caused by the phenomenon what emerges is the narrow margin of time available that these children have to study and play. Recently the Catholic University of Argentina (UCA) published a report "The state of the situation of youth work" where it appears that this negative trend is generated even when children and adolescents are engaged in heavy housework, especially in families where adults of reference are away from home for many hours or where there are many children to look after. From some research results what can be seen is that between 2010 and 2011 the percentage of children from 5 to 13 years of age, and adolescents, from 14 to 17 who live in the city and employed in production activities decreased slightly, from 12.3% to 11.8%. The study showed that, in general, the work of children and adolescents affects their educational status. In fact, the lack of time for study and fatigue with which they attend classes generate a delay in the rate of learning and growth. In 2011, 34.6% of children who worked presented educational deficiencies. 27.2% of adolescents living in households without social assistance were working, compared to 24.3% and 16.5% of those from households with higher incomes and social protection. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 12/12/2012)
- 2015-01-22 - Nisman case: Bishops: "the people want the truth"
- 2015-01-15 - Divine Word Missionaries from Asia, Africa and Oceania work in Argentina
- 2015-01-09 - Tuberculosis and Chagas disease out of control in the Chaco
- 2014-12-23 - Church and government for the common good and peace of the country
- 2014-12-19 - AMERICA/ARGENTINA – The Bishops: "Working together to build a more fraternal Country"
- 2014-12-17 - Church and government meet again
- 2014-12-11 - Drug and human trafficking: "There are people who have money stained with blood in their pocket"
- 2014-11-28 - AMERICA/ARGENTINA – Debate on the mining law, the Bishops ask respect for the environment
- 2014-11-05 - The fight against drugs should be considered a State matter
- 2014-11-04 - Two thousand secondary school teachers gathered for the XII Education Forum