AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - South Sudan Emergency: violence in Jonglei State does not stop
Juba (Agenzia Fides) - For more than a year there has been humanitarian emergency in South Sudan. War, epidemics, malnutrition are some of the scourges that the population faces every day. In July, an epidemiological survey conducted by the organization Doctors Without Borders (DWB) in the refugee camps near the border with Sudan, had highlighted a mortality rate twice the emergency threshold. Every day 5 children died. Today violence in Jonglei State also affect DWB structures impeding access to health care assistance to an already vulnerable population. In the report "South Sudan, a forgotten crisis. Violence against civilians is devastating communities and preventing access to life-saving treatment in Jonglei, " recently published, DWB operators highlight the devastating impact of violence on the lives and health of civilians in the State. Among the victims there are many women and children. Other clashes between a group of militia and south Sudanese armed forces have increased violence and caused a mass exodus during the peak of the malaria season. More than 50% of gunshot wounds treated by DWB after an attack in January 2012 had been inflicted on women and children. Entire communities have fled to save their lives in the woods. Without shelter, food or drinking water, they are vulnerable to malaria, pneumonia, malnutrition and diarrhea. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 06/12/2012)
- 2014-12-15 - Memorial Mass for the victims and for peace, a year after the outbreak of the Civil War
- 2014-11-14 - The first woman mayor of Yei killed: an act against the Church and against peace
- 2014-10-30 - Campaign against the recruitment of children in armed conflict: "Children, not soldiers"!
- 2014-10-21 - The warring parties recognize their responsibilities in the civil war, "an important step for peace"
- 2014-10-09 - The law that strengthens the powers of security services has been approved, the opposition protests
- 2014-10-07 - A million people at risk of hunger if the political crisis is not solved
- 2014-10-03 - South Sudan's authorities threaten Catholic community radio
- 2014-10-01 - Authorities have threatened to close down another Catholic radio
- 2014-09-29 - The Bishops denounce the manipulation of tribalism: "Put an end to the civil war now"
- 2014-09-23 - Religious leaders committed to calm tensions on the border with Uganda