AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - South Sudan Emergency: violence in Jonglei State does not stop
Juba (Agenzia Fides) - For more than a year there has been humanitarian emergency in South Sudan. War, epidemics, malnutrition are some of the scourges that the population faces every day. In July, an epidemiological survey conducted by the organization Doctors Without Borders (DWB) in the refugee camps near the border with Sudan, had highlighted a mortality rate twice the emergency threshold. Every day 5 children died. Today violence in Jonglei State also affect DWB structures impeding access to health care assistance to an already vulnerable population. In the report "South Sudan, a forgotten crisis. Violence against civilians is devastating communities and preventing access to life-saving treatment in Jonglei, " recently published, DWB operators highlight the devastating impact of violence on the lives and health of civilians in the State. Among the victims there are many women and children. Other clashes between a group of militia and south Sudanese armed forces have increased violence and caused a mass exodus during the peak of the malaria season. More than 50% of gunshot wounds treated by DWB after an attack in January 2012 had been inflicted on women and children. Entire communities have fled to save their lives in the woods. Without shelter, food or drinking water, they are vulnerable to malaria, pneumonia, malnutrition and diarrhea. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 06/12/2012)
- 2014-07-30 - Thousands of children at risk for an outbreak of cholera
- 2014-07-22 - Child malnutrition rates skyrocket: +73% compared to 2013
- 2014-07-10 - 3 children die every day; 50 thousand at risk for malnutrition, diseases and ethnic conflicts
- 2014-07-03 - 6 hospitals looted or burned in a few months, at least 58 people killed in the hospitals
- 2014-06-24 - Appeal of Christian and Muslim leaders: "Pursue political dialogue for peaceful settlement and end the war"
- 2014-06-13 - Despite the peace agreement there is still alert due to the constant arrivals of refugees in Ethiopia
- 2014-05-23 - 132 children abducted by the LRA have been released
- 2014-05-14 - Appeal of the World Council of Churches: "With the agreement signed, the real work starts now"
- 2014-05-05 - "Untold suffering of more than five thousand Internally Displaced Persons, IDPs" denounces the Assistant Parish Priest in Abyei
- 2014-04-30 - Child soldiers leave school to "avenge" their parents' death