ASIA/PHILIPPINES - Deaths and missing persons after the typhoon Bopha increase
Manila (Agenzia Fides) - Dozens of missing persons, over 214 000 displaced and 238 have died in the floods and landslides caused by Typhoon Bopha, which hit the Philippines. Most of the victims were reported in the provinces of Compostela Valley and Davao, in the east of the island of Mindanao, where the typhoon arrived with winds of 175 km/h. In the province of Surigao del Sur, always in Mindanao, and where the most serious damage has been declared, eight people have died, while in Misamis Occidental a 33-year-old Filipino 31 died struck by a tree which fell due to strong winds. This is the most powerful typhoon that has hit the archipelago this year. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 06/12/2012)
- 2013-04-25 ASIA/PHILIPPINES - Bishops' Appeal: "Cherish the earth to save Mindanao"
- 2013-04-24 ASIA/PHILIPPINES - The religious: " Government insufficient on ecology, human rights, corruption, land reform"
- 2013-04-16 ASIA/PHILIPPINES - General Elections: the Church traces the identikit of the "good candidate"
- 2013-03-04 ASIA/PHILIPPINES – The activist killed in Boracay was a lay Catholic of the Vincentian Family
- 2013-02-28 ASIA/PHILIPPINES - The Church next to the tribals, in the face of abuses in the tourist paradise of Boracay
- 2013-01-30 ASIA/PHILIPPINES - The Bishops on the upcoming elections: we need a law against political dynasties
- 2013-01-22 ASIA/PHILIPPINES - The typhoon also has an impact on maternal and child health
- 2013-01-14 ASIA/PHILIPPINES - Schools reopen after the typhoon but there is still no electricity
- 2012-12-19 ASIA/PAKISTAN - Fr. Mendes: "Caritas volunteers and doctors are in danger because of the Taliban’s fury"
- 2012-12-19 ASIA/PHILIPPINES - President Aquino will sign the Reproductive Health Bill within the year. For the Church, "he is like a dictator"