ASIA/PHILIPPINES - Deaths and missing persons after the typhoon Bopha increase
Manila (Agenzia Fides) - Dozens of missing persons, over 214 000 displaced and 238 have died in the floods and landslides caused by Typhoon Bopha, which hit the Philippines. Most of the victims were reported in the provinces of Compostela Valley and Davao, in the east of the island of Mindanao, where the typhoon arrived with winds of 175 km/h. In the province of Surigao del Sur, always in Mindanao, and where the most serious damage has been declared, eight people have died, while in Misamis Occidental a 33-year-old Filipino 31 died struck by a tree which fell due to strong winds. This is the most powerful typhoon that has hit the archipelago this year. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 06/12/2012)
- 2015-02-26 - Military offensive in Mindanao; the Bishop in Basilan: "For peace, sincerity is needed"
- 2015-02-24 - Bishops issue “Oratio imperata” for peace in Mindanao
- 2015-02-20 - ASIA/PHILIPPINES – In the Year of the Poor, Lent is a favourable time for solidarity
- 2015-02-19 - Missionary says: “someone wants to destabilise Mindanao”
- 2015-02-18 - ASIA/PHILIPPINES – Christian and Muslim religious leaders: “the peace process must not be abandoned”
- 2015-02-09 - No to "total war" in Mindanao, unity against "the ideology of violence"
- 2015-02-05 - Interfaith harmony, a journey towards peace in the world
- 2015-02-03 - Pope's letter to the Archbishop of Palo: "I will never forget Tacloban"
- 2015-01-27 - The Bishops: No to violence in Mindanao, support for the peace process
- 2015-01-20 - Bishops: to put into practice the words of the Pope on the proximity to the poor