EUROPE/SPAIN - Hunger, unemployment and exploitation aggravate the already precarious situations
Madrid (Agenzia Fides) - Every day 100,000 people, half of them children, die of hunger. It is about 85% of the world population. In the European Union every year 89 million tons of food is thrown away. According to figures released by the Spanish organization Camino Juvenil Solidario, which deals with phenomena such as fighting hunger, unemployment and violence, the speculation of all kinds, food and financial, continue to aggravate the already precarious situation. In Africa alone, 41 million hectares of arable land were subtracted from investment funds and corporations. In 2010, the price of wheat increased by 130%, that of rice by 74% and maize by 31%. Unemployment, job insecurity, exploitation, and the number of deaths among immigrants also increases. In addition, the international financial organizations promote the growth of such phenomena as speculation and usury. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 05/12/2012)
- 2015-05-21 - Hunger is not inevitable: 350 thousand children in the world against child malnutrition
- 2015-05-21 - Support for an alternative model for the regional economy developed by Caritas
- 2015-05-13 - Minerals, cause of conflicts in the world: NGOs ask the EU for "a strong law"
- 2015-04-24 - Migrants: disappointment for the CIE Regulation, approved a year ago and still unrealized
- 2015-04-21 - The Bishops in assembly: Mission, emigration and social crisis
- 2015-03-31 - UNHCR report: Almost 6000 applications for asylum in Spain in 2014
- 2015-03-25 - March 26: Day of Prayer for Peace in the fifth centenary of Saint Teresa
- 2015-03-20 - Every minute a child dies due to lack of drinking water
- 2015-03-16 - Pastor of the Shrine of Virxe do Cristal killed
- 2015-03-10 - Migration: "The Church is the critical conscience before the authorities"