EUROPE/SPAIN - Hunger, unemployment and exploitation aggravate the already precarious situations
Madrid (Agenzia Fides) - Every day 100,000 people, half of them children, die of hunger. It is about 85% of the world population. In the European Union every year 89 million tons of food is thrown away. According to figures released by the Spanish organization Camino Juvenil Solidario, which deals with phenomena such as fighting hunger, unemployment and violence, the speculation of all kinds, food and financial, continue to aggravate the already precarious situation. In Africa alone, 41 million hectares of arable land were subtracted from investment funds and corporations. In 2010, the price of wheat increased by 130%, that of rice by 74% and maize by 31%. Unemployment, job insecurity, exploitation, and the number of deaths among immigrants also increases. In addition, the international financial organizations promote the growth of such phenomena as speculation and usury. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 05/12/2012)
- 2015-02-26 - Despite the crisis, the PMS in Spain has increased the support for missions by 20%
- 2015-02-13 - "The way we treat immigrants today will leave a mark in our history"
- 2015-01-09 - Bishops appeal to the government: listen to immigrants before expelling them
- 2014-12-04 - EUROPE/SPAIN – Fund raising Christmas markets in aid of HIV positive and abused children in Zimbabwe
- 2014-12-04 - EUROPE/SPAIN – Missionaries victims of Ebola: we remember our missionaries, what they do and for whom they work
- 2014-10-31 - Alarm tuberculosis: outdated policies will not be able to stop the peak of TB drug-resistant strains
- 2014-10-31 - Caritas Spain receives an award "for the defense of the rights of the people"
- 2014-10-23 - Every year 100,000 Christians die because of religious persecution
- 2014-10-23 - Concerned about "our" problems, while thousands of people die every day
- 2014-10-17 - While 805 million people suffer from hunger, 30% of food is wasted