AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN-Somali immigrants accuse the security forces of abuse
Juba (Agenzia Fides) – A number of Somalis took to the streets of Juba, capital of South Sudan, after the killing of their country man. A witness told Bakhita Radio said the deceased was an entrepreneur who was killed in his shop by criminals and accused the security forces of South Sudan of abusing Somali immigrants. The protesters marched towards Juba International Airport as the body of the dead was being airlifted to his country of origin.
Police stopped the protesters from entering the airport and forced them to turn back.
Many foreign expatriates complain wide mistreatment across the country by South Sudan security forces. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 04/12/2012)
- 2014-03-11 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - Inauguration of the pediatric wing of the hospital in Yirol
- 2014-03-07 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - "The South Sudanese people will come out of this crisis stronger than";fifty years from the expulsion of the missionaries
- 2014-03-03 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - Malakal, a city of 250,000 inhabitants, completely deserted after the rebel attacks: the testimony of a missionary to Fides
- 2014-02-27 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - “Let us work together for peace”: Bishop Taban urges Muslim community
- 2014-02-25 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - “Our place is here”: caring for mothers and infants in need of medical attention
- 2014-02-20 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - "Civil society needs to be involved in future peace negotiations", said the Nuncio
- 2014-02-19 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - Uncertain situation in Malakal, at the center of the fighting between government and rebels
- 2014-02-18 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - The truce has been violated: fighting in Malakal has resumed
- 2014-02-12 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - New round of peace talks in South Sudan
- 2014-02-07 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - Despite the truce, clashes continue: aid, medicines and therapeutic food are needed