ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - Korean-Japanese Bishops discuss the reduction of dependence on nuclear power
Daegu (Agenzia Fides) - The 18th meeting of Korean-Japanese Bishops’ Exchange Meeting was held with the theme of "Nuclear Power Phase-out" in Gyeongju city of the Daegu Archdiocese in Korea from November 13 to 15. According to information sent to Fides Agency by the Catholic Bishops' Conference of Korea (CBCK), along with Most Rev. Peter Kang U-il, Bishop of Cheju, President of the CBCK, and Archbishop of Osaka,Most Rev. Leo Jun Ikenaga, President of the Catholic Bishops' Conference of Japan (CBCJ), about 40 bishops and priests participated in this meeting.
On the first day of work, Rev.Thomas Seigel Michael (Nanzan University Institute for Social Ethics) gave a lecture on "Theological Considerations concerning Nuclear Power Plants." He stressed the need to develop projects of sustainable energy, such as wind and solar energy, so as to reduce our dependence on nuclear energy.
Rev. Paul Park Hong-pyo, priest of the Diocese of Wonju and representative of the Committee against the Construction of Samcheok Nuclear Power Plant highlighted that residents want to live in a clean and peaceful environment and thus the nuclear power phase-out is a matter of life itself, not just politics.
On November 14, the bishops visited the Wolsung Nuclear Power Plant in Gyeongju and heard an explanation about the operation and management state of the nuclear power plant. Following the visit, the bishops celebrated Mass at the Yangnam Church. In his homily, the Most Rev. Thaddeus Cho Hwan-kil, Archbishop of Daegu, said that we should strive for nuclear power phase-out in order to safeguard the integrity of creation and the peaceful life of the earth which God has given to mankind.
On the last day, the Bishops had time to discuss the themes on nuclear power phase-out in group and then in plenary session. The next meeting is scheduled for 12 to 14 November 2013, in Japan. (SL) (Agenzia Fides 27/11/2012)
- 2013-12-11 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - Pastoral Letter of the Archbishop of Seoul: A new year for the new evangelization
- 2013-11-27 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - Controversy between a priest and the Korean President: the Archbishop of Seoul invites priests not to get involved in politics
- 2013-11-05 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - Christians in prayer for reconciliation between North and South, in the demilitarized zone
- 2013-10-30 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - Bishop of Mongolia: "Thanks for the missionary commitment of the Korean Church"
- 2013-10-03 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - In mission among the poor and marginalized in the "existential suburbs" of Suwon
- 2013-10-03 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - Over 45 thousand faithful attend Cardinal Filoni’s Mass for the Jubilee of the Diocese of Suwon
- 2013-09-30 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - The Archbishop of Seoul: "Cardinal Filoni’s visit is an incentive for the Church in Korea that wants to be missionary"
- 2013-09-16 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - Korean Bishops' Pilgrimage on foot to martyrs' shrines
- 2013-08-29 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - Pope Francis to the Archdiocese of Seoul : "The martyrs as the way of faith and evangelization"
- 2013-08-27 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - The Archbishop of Seoul and Cardinal Grocholewski: education as a means of evangelization in Asia