AFRICA/NIGERIA - "It is disturbing to see who defends us suffer such attacks," says the Archbishop of Jos
Jos (Agenzia Fides) - "What is really disturbing is that in carrying out these attacks, members of Boko Haram seem to be sure of success. This is shocking because it is supposed that the police and the military are in charge of protecting the civilian population, but have now themselves become victims of Boko Haram attacks. We are really in trouble," says to Fides Agency His Exc. Mgr. Ignatius Ayau Kaigama, Archbishop of Jos and President of the Bishops' Conference of Nigeria, commenting on the attack on Sunday, November 25 with two car bombs against a Protestant church within the barracks hosting the Armed Forces Command and Staff College (an important military school) in Jaji, in Kaduna State, in northern Nigeria.
"I have just returned to Nigeria from Rome, where I participated in the Consistory and the appointment of Mgr. Onayiekan to Cardinal, and I have just read about the attack," said Mgr. Kaigama. "My first reaction when I read about the attack on the Protestant church on a military base, was to think that these people are very daring. These criminals are able to renew themselves. They have gone from attacking innocent faithful in their churches to bringing the war within the military establishment, thus demonstrating a high degree of experience in committing their crimes and the level of organization that they have reached" says the Archbishop.
The Nigerian press reports that this morning an attack in Abuja (the federal capital) was fought off against the premises of a special unit of the police in charge of hunting down members of Boko Haram. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 26/11/2012)
- 2015-09-02 - Bishops support President Buhari's campaign against corruption
- 2015-08-17 - Claretian Missionary priest killed in road ambush
- 2015-07-16 - "If Boko Haram succeed in cutting us off from the other part of Nigeria, Maiduguri is doomed"
- 2015-07-15 - Boko Haram strikes again, but no longer controls whole territories
- 2015-07-10 - sex marriages in the western world
- 2015-07-06 - New attacks of Boko Haram: a mosque and a Protestant Church
- 2015-07-03 - "Boko Haram wants to punish Muslims who rebel against their violence", says a priest from Abuja
- 2015-07-01 - "Precarious security and non-existent infrastructure in the areas liberated by Boko Haram" reports the Bishop of Yola
- 2015-06-24 - "Despite the latest attacks, we hope that Boko Haram will be soon defeated" says the Bishop of Maiduguri
- 2015-06-22 - Priest kidnapped on June 8 has been released, no ransom was paid