AFRICA/ETHIOPIA - New maternal and child health center in Soddo
Soddo (Agenzia Fides) - Facing recurrent famines and epidemics, the Ethiopian population lives the terrible contradiction of population growth among the most striking in the entire African continent and of mortality, especially concerning infants, one of the most dramatic, facilitated by the total absence of food perspectives and proper sanitation facilities.
The area of the Wolayta is in the southern part of Ethiopia. It has a population of more than 1 million and a half constituted 50.3% by women. 83% of the residents are farmers. The entire area is served by one public hospital, in Soddo, the capital of the region, where there is no running water, built more than 40 years ago, when the number of the population was much lower than today.
The hospital provides care for women and children with a functioning operating room and another partially functioning. The operating room is shared with the surgical ward and a mother may have to wait before being subjected to a caesarean section; there is only a labor and delivery room, so women in labor are in the same room destined for delivery; there are only 11 rooms, each with a bed, and there is a department dedicated to children who are treated together with adults. To cope with this emergency, the Help Center for Ethiopia, a non-profit association with the aim of promoting education initiatives, education, social and health care for the people of Ethiopia and Eritrea, intends to build a new medical center devoted entirely to mother and child care. The new center will be on two floors for a total of about 1,700 square meters with a hundred beds, some of which are dedicated to the pediatric ward, and rooms will be equipped with X-ray and a CAT scan that will serve the entire South of Ethiopia. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 21/11/2012)
- 2015-03-11 - A primary school for children in Hosanna
- 2015-02-24 - AFRICA/ETHIOPIA – First step for a representative of the Catholic Church at the African Union
- 2015-01-09 - Cardinal-designate Souraphiel: "I will work for the Church so that it obtains the observer status in the African Union"
- 2014-12-11 - "I saw the urgency of the first evangelization with my own eyes" says a Fidei Donum priest
- 2014-12-02 - A more functional school for 4000 children in one of the poorest regions of the Country
- 2014-08-11 - Blessing of the nutritional and educational center in the Somali region of the Country
- 2014-07-05 - AFRICA/ETHIOPIA – Healthcare and mobile school services for nomad pastoralists
- 2014-06-27 - Poverty and hunger, the consequences of an unjust economic system
- 2014-05-27 - AFRICA/ETHIOPIA – More support and availability for 15 million children, adults and elders with disabilities
- 2014-05-22 - Project for defeating forms of avoidable blindness affecting millions of Ethiopians