AMERICA/BOLIVIA - The Church calls on the population to participate in the census, civic duty and a tool for the development of society
La Paz (Agenzia Fides) - The Catholic Church calls on the Bolivian population to participate in the national Census, because it is a "civic duty", and calls on the authorities and population to make every effort for this important event. "As expressed several times, the Catholic Church encourages the Bolivian population to actively participate in the census on 21 November, as it is an instrument for the development of our society," said the statement sent to Fides Agency. "We reject any attempt to boycott this day by some groups," said His Exc. Mgr. Eugenio Scarpellini, Auxiliary Bishop of El Alto, Secretary General of the Bolivian Episcopal Conference in the presentation of the statement.
Even His Exc. Mgr. Sergio Gualberti, Coadjutor Bishop of Santa Cruz, delivered Cardinal Julio Terrazas’ message, who asked the population to participate in the Census providing real data and without lying. Mgr. Gualberti, also asked the authorities to use these data in a transparent way. He then added that the census is "a very important way that gives us the opportunity to learn more objectively the reality of our country, of our regions, cities and towns, 11 years after the last census." "Only if we do it with freedom, we can expect that the results help us to create public policies to respond and meet the needs of all Bolivians" he concluded. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 19/11/2012)
- 2014-07-10 - Insults and defamation: a campaign that has no political agenda
- 2014-06-18 - Conclusion of the G77 + China, the Church hopes for commitment in favor of the poor
- 2014-06-16 - Formation on values to combat violence and bullying
- 2014-05-26 - Meeting with the candidates: an initiative of the Church for the October elections
- 2014-05-16 - Basic Ecclesial Communities: the new face of the Church at the service of justice and peace
- 2014-04-28 - Children sold for sexual and labor exploitation and for the sale of organs
- 2014-04-09 - After the clashes, President Morales changes the minister and meets the miners
- 2014-03-29 - The Church reflects on the situation: "The people no longer have hope in this government"
- 2014-03-27 - Bishops’ priorities: Indigenous and social pastoral, relaunch of the Permanent Mission
- 2014-03-17 - Heavy rains have caused deaths and injuries in the Beni area, the lack of food is worrying