ASIA/MYANMAR - Earthquake in the town center: deaths, injuries and several missing
Mandalay (Agenzia Fides) - Yesterday, Sunday, November 11, an earthquake 6.6 magnitude on the Richter scale shook central Burma, causing five deaths, 19 injuries and limited material damage. Many people could be missing. The epicenter was recorded at a depth of ten kilometers and close to Shwebo. The aftershocks were felt in a radius of 60 kilometers, in Mandalay, the second largest city in the country. The earthquake was also felt in Bangkok, Thailand. Shortly after the earthquake, a bridge under construction on the river Irawadi collapsed and caused several victims. According to the local police, 4 people were killed in Singgu and nine were injured. Other wounded in Singgu are feared, across the river Irawadi. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 12/11/2012)
- 2013-11-19 ASIA/MYANMAR - Over 2,000 newly displaced people in Kachin areas: alarm on behalf of Caritas
- 2013-11-13 ASIA/MYANMAR - Buddhist protest against the visit of the Organization of the Islamic Conference
- 2013-10-29 ASIA/MYANMAR - Ethnic minorities at a conference: a common strategy in view of a peace agreement
- 2013-10-22 ASIA/MYANMAR - Archbishop of Yangon: next to Pope Francis, to evangelize with mercy
- 2013-10-11 ASIA/MYANMAR - Religious leaders work for peace
- 2013-10-07 ASIA/MYANMAR - The Church's appeal, after the religious conflicts: "In the new Myanmar there is no place for hatred"
- 2013-08-23 ASIA/MYANMAR - Appeal of the Church and civil society: "In ethnic and religious diversity, the path is dialogue"
- 2013-06-28 ASIA/MYANMAR - Religious leaders’ appeal: "Stop religious hatred; together for the development of the country"
- 2013-06-24 ASIA/MYANMAR - Archbishop of Yangon: "The Church architect of the dialogue to stop religious conflicts"
- 2013-06-20 ASIA/MYANMAR - The Bishops: education, federalism, interfaith harmony are the challenges for the nation