ASIA/MYANMAR - Earthquake in the town center: deaths, injuries and several missing
Mandalay (Agenzia Fides) - Yesterday, Sunday, November 11, an earthquake 6.6 magnitude on the Richter scale shook central Burma, causing five deaths, 19 injuries and limited material damage. Many people could be missing. The epicenter was recorded at a depth of ten kilometers and close to Shwebo. The aftershocks were felt in a radius of 60 kilometers, in Mandalay, the second largest city in the country. The earthquake was also felt in Bangkok, Thailand. Shortly after the earthquake, a bridge under construction on the river Irawadi collapsed and caused several victims. According to the local police, 4 people were killed in Singgu and nine were injured. Other wounded in Singgu are feared, across the river Irawadi. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 12/11/2012)
- 2014-11-25 - In the process of reforms underway, even the release of child soldiers
- 2014-11-24 - Bishops' Message for the Jubilee: "A new season of hope"
- 2014-11-14 - The poor and vulnerable children in the Country seek refuge in Thailand
- 2014-10-30 - The Jesuits: "To be companions for indigenous peoples"
- 2014-09-26 - The Burmese army releases over a hundred child soldiers
- 2014-08-19 - End of the war and federal solution: the Burmese Bishops' appeal
- 2014-07-30 - Archbishop Bo: "Unity and peace for the family of Myanmar"
- 2014-07-04 - Change starts from education, says the Archbishop of Mandalay
- 2014-06-13 - The proposed anti-conversion bill poses a threat to religious freedom
- 2014-06-10 - Three years of war and abuse on ethnic minorities: appeal for peace by civil society