ASIA/MYANMAR - Earthquake in the town center: deaths, injuries and several missing
Mandalay (Agenzia Fides) - Yesterday, Sunday, November 11, an earthquake 6.6 magnitude on the Richter scale shook central Burma, causing five deaths, 19 injuries and limited material damage. Many people could be missing. The epicenter was recorded at a depth of ten kilometers and close to Shwebo. The aftershocks were felt in a radius of 60 kilometers, in Mandalay, the second largest city in the country. The earthquake was also felt in Bangkok, Thailand. Shortly after the earthquake, a bridge under construction on the river Irawadi collapsed and caused several victims. According to the local police, 4 people were killed in Singgu and nine were injured. Other wounded in Singgu are feared, across the river Irawadi. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 12/11/2012)
- 2014-07-04 - Change starts from education, says the Archbishop of Mandalay
- 2014-06-13 - The proposed anti-conversion bill poses a threat to religious freedom
- 2014-06-10 - Three years of war and abuse on ethnic minorities: appeal for peace by civil society
- 2014-05-30 - ASIA/MYANMAR – Blessed father Vergara and Blessed Isidoro will give “impulse to vocations and to mission”
- 2014-05-13 - Hunger, malnutrition and debts for the population of the "dry zone"
- 2014-04-14 - The Archbishop of Yangon’s message: An Easter of reconciliation
- 2014-04-11 - New law on religious freedom? The Church disagrees
- 2014-03-31 - The Archbishop of Yangon: "The census is a golden opportunity for peace and development"
- 2014-03-04 - Health activities that the government had stopped resumes only in some centers
- 2014-03-03 - No medical care for: thirty thousand people with HIV/AIDS and over 3000 with tuberculosis