ASIA/VIETNAM - Mission and dialogue in the Year of Faith
Ho Chi Minh City (Agenzia Fides) - The mission towards the poor, the sick or towards ethnic groups who do not know Christ, and dialogue with all sections of society: in the Year of Faith, this is the commitment of the Franciscan friars in Vietnam. As reported to Fides by sources in the local Franciscan communities, on November 6 at the Franciscan seminary in Ho Chi Minh City a conference on the theme of faith, which is inseparable from that of the mission will be held: the conference is entitled, in fact, "Mission and interreligious Dialogue in the evangelization in Vietnam" and provides the report of a well-known Vietnamese-American theologian Peter C. Phan. Planned for 2013, there is also another important moment of encounter and reflection, always in relation to the themes of the Year of Faith.
Meanwhile, on the occasion of the Year of Faith, the Minor Friars of Vietnam have strengthened their involvement in the pastoral activities of diocesan parishes, across the country, engaging in work with the poor and the sick (especially lepers) or in the evangelization in areas of the country inhabited by ethnic groups. All parishes in Vietnam celebrated the Mass for the inauguration of the Year of Faith, on 12, 18 or 21 October, according to the recommendations of the different Bishops. The Bishops sent individually pastoral letters addressed to the priests, religious and faithful to their communities, to raise awareness in order to "rediscover and renew their faith." The President of the Episcopal Conference of Vietnam, Mgr. Phero Nguyen Van Nhon, Archbishop of Hanoi, has recommended priests and laity to engage against the erosion of faith through the "re-evangelization" of the territory, and to help young people who turn away from faith and are immersed in a secular world. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 26/10/2012)
- 2014-07-22 - "UN expert on religious freedom will visit Viet Nam to assess the situation in the country"
- 2014-07-02 - "Christian family, the cradle of vocations to priesthood" for the Church in Vietnam
- 2014-06-26 - Brutal police repression on Christians Mennonites
- 2014-05-27 - Tensions with China: the faithful pray for justice and peace
- 2014-05-15 - Anti-Chinese protests and violence: civil society and the Catholics ask for non-violence
- 2014-05-08 - A Vietnamese priest in the list of the top “100 information heroes”
- 2014-02-12 - Children of ethnic Dao Tien committed to celebrating the Lunar New Year
- 2014-01-17 - Campaign to abolish torture, often used against detainees for religious and political reasons
- 2013-10-22 - Parliament debates on the revision of the Constitution, on corruption and development
- 2013-10-09 - Campaign in favor of the poor and populations affected by natural disasters