AFRICA/SENEGAL - More than 160 graves desecrated in two Catholic cemeteries, bronze crosses stolen
Dakar (Agenzia Fides) - More than 160 graves were desecrated in two Catholic cemeteries in Dakar. "Crucifixes and other stone objects were taken away from their graves in the Christian cemeteries of Saint Lazarus of Bethany and Bel Air, by individuals who have not yet been identified," said a statement sent to Fides Agency by Fr Roger Gomis, director of social communications of the diocese of Dakar. "There are about sixty tombs that were desecrated at the cemetery of Saint Lazarus of Bethany, and more than a hundred in Bel Air."
Cardinal Theodore Adrien Sarr, Archbishop of Dakar, and those responsible of Christian cemeteries, on behalf of the whole Christian community, have expressed their outrage and dismay concerning these acts of vandalism. Don Gomis interviewed the guardians of the two cemeteries, who stated that the thieves steal bronze crucifixes in the most ancient tombs, ignoring the more recent ones. In both cemeteries, the guardians had reported to local authorities the need to increase the height of the walls to ensure safety. In Bel Air three volunteers provide security service from 6.30 pm to 9 pm because, according to the guardian, after the 21 thieves they prefer not to venture into the cemetery. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 12/10/2012)
- 2015-05-19 - "Radio Mercy" launched, the web-radio of the Catholic Senegalese Church
- 2015-01-23 - AFRICA/SENEGAL – Bishops: "No to violence in God's name, but be careful not to offend religious feelings"
- 2015-01-13 - Over 10,000 children at the yearly pilgrimage organized by Missionary Childhood
- 2015-01-12 - Casamance: "Stalemate, the peace process must be relaunched" says the Bishop of Ziguinchor
- 2014-11-13 - "Dialogue between Christians and Muslims is possible, but must be nurtured constantly", said Mgr. Ndiaye
- 2014-09-29 - "Twelve years after the tragedy of the ferry Joola, ships are still overloaded and continue to travel" denounces the Church
- 2014-09-01 - Ebola: “Keep watch, do not panic” says the local Church
- 2014-06-16 - "Do not give in to vote trading" Bishops' appeal in view of the elections on 29 June
- 2014-01-16 - The 8000 Dakar missionaries committed to bringing "the joy of the Gospel" everywhere,
- 2013-09-09 - The Nuncio in Senegal denounces the "selfish interests" that prevent peace in Syria