AFRICA/MADAGASCAR - A Jesuit priest killed for robbery
Antananarivo (Agenzia Fides) - "Fr. Bruno was the victim of a violent assault and suffered a brutal death. The local Jesuit community is devastated," said to Fides the Church sources in Antananarivo, capital of Madagascar, where on Sunday, September 30, Fr. Bruno Raharison, a Jesuit priest of Malagasy nationality, treasurer of the congregation of John XXIII Mahamasina, was killed during a robbery in the street.
The car belonging to the religious had been noticed by some people on September 30, parked along the road that leads Antananarivo to Tamatave, near the town of Carion. The police were alerted and they established a security service of the car. The next day a young man who tried to recover the car was brought to the police station. At the same time the police started searching the area and on October 2 found Fr. Bruno’s body, 400 meters from the site of the discovery of his car. The priest was shot several times with a weapon to the spine, chest and head. "The criminals wanted to steal the car that the priest had just received to carry out his service. Fr. Bruno was accompanied by a boy who helped him in his travels," said our source. In addition to the boy other two people have been detained in connection with the murder of the Jesuit. The funeral of Fr. Bruno Raharison were celebrated yesterday. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 04/10/2012)
- 2014-01-17 - Hery Rajaonarimampianina is the new Head of State
- 2013-12-21 - 5 million people exposed to plague
- 2013-11-21 - The Bishops: "heal the wounds caused by the political crisis"
- 2013-10-10 - In the wake of the cyclone Haruna
- 2013-10-07 - Eight children have disappeared from Nosy Be
- 2013-10-04 - Still tension in Nosy Be after the killing of three people accused of having killed and mutilated a child
- 2013-07-05 - Agreement for the participation of former President Ravalomanana at the next meeting of reconciliation
- 2013-05-02 - Food insecurity opens the door to tuberculosis
- 2013-04-18 - National dialogue mediated by the Ecumenical Council of Christian Churches begins
- 2013-03-05 - One person was killed in a demonstration against the alleged killers of Sister Marie Emmanuel