AMERICA/UNITED STATES - Hunger and poverty affect most Latin populations
Washington (Agenzia Fides) - The Christian organization Bread for the World has just released its annual study on hunger and poverty in the Latino community living in the United States, which shows that Latino families are the ones most prone to these problems. One Hispanic child out of three are in danger of going hungry in the richest country in the world where Hispanics represent over 16% of the population. 34% of Latino families who have children must fight to find food every day, compared to 22% of American families in general. 36% of Hispanic children live in poverty, compared to 25% of North Americans. The federal nutrition programs that provide food vouchers, together with the Special Supplemental Food Program for Women and Children (WIC), and schools have helped to prevent an even greater number of people suffering from hunger. 35% of Latinos are entitled to food vouchers, while only 21.4% is included in the program. According to a report from the White House, 3.7 million Latino families, including 8 million children benefit from the aid of the various nutritional programs proposed. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 21/09/2012)
- 2014-04-02 - Six thousand migrants have died in 15 years, the U.S. Bishops celebrated a Mass at the border
- 2014-03-12 - A Catholic Guide for parishes with faithful of different languages and ethnic groups
- 2014-03-05 - The Bishops on the crisis in Ukraine: "We raise our voice in defense of religious liberty"
- 2014-02-25 - AMERICA/ UNITED STATES – The Church should never forget her duty to accompany immigrants towards integration
- 2014-02-13 - American Indians: neglected and marginalized, but have great capacities
- 2014-01-29 - President Obama: "it is urgent to reform the immigration system"
- 2014-01-15 - Archbishop Gomez looks for support among those who do not agree on the immigration reform
- 2014-01-14 - "They take care of our children and build our homes, but they have no rights": for a more humane approach towards immigrants
- 2014-01-13 - The Bishops: excessive military engagement in the fight against drugs in Mexico
- 2013-10-16 - Every day 1,400 children under 5 years of age die due to a lack of drinking water