AMERICA/UNITED STATES - Hunger and poverty affect most Latin populations
Washington (Agenzia Fides) - The Christian organization Bread for the World has just released its annual study on hunger and poverty in the Latino community living in the United States, which shows that Latino families are the ones most prone to these problems. One Hispanic child out of three are in danger of going hungry in the richest country in the world where Hispanics represent over 16% of the population. 34% of Latino families who have children must fight to find food every day, compared to 22% of American families in general. 36% of Hispanic children live in poverty, compared to 25% of North Americans. The federal nutrition programs that provide food vouchers, together with the Special Supplemental Food Program for Women and Children (WIC), and schools have helped to prevent an even greater number of people suffering from hunger. 35% of Latinos are entitled to food vouchers, while only 21.4% is included in the program. According to a report from the White House, 3.7 million Latino families, including 8 million children benefit from the aid of the various nutritional programs proposed. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 21/09/2012)
- 2015-07-29 - Local Catholic Church applauds order to release detained Central American families
- 2015-06-23 - A Mass for solidarity and to ask to stop the deportation of Haitians from Santo Domingo
- 2015-06-23 - Appeal of the UNHCR to the Dominican government: the consequences of expulsion could be devastating
- 2015-05-12 - The Bishops denounce: the immigration system has become an "inhuman industry"
- 2015-05-08 - One hundred immigrants in one day: the flow does not stop, and mostly affects families
- 2015-05-05 - Cardinal Maradiaga visits Central American migrants detained in Dilley
- 2015-04-30 - Archbishop of Baltimore: "truth will heal the wounds"
- 2015-04-10 - New appeal to the President to finally solve the problems of immigrant families
- 2015-03-30 - Little Sisters of The Poor gather for last Mass in Cleveland
- 2015-03-30 - Submitted a bill to facilitate the immigration of Middle Eastern persecuted Christians