AMERICA/PARAGUAY - Bishops call on the government for "a better quality of democracy"
Asuncion (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishops of Paraguay, after meeting yesterday, 18 September, to assess the situation of the country in all its aspects, expressed in writing concerns and wishes that they delivered, also yesterday, to the representatives of the government during their visit. According to the note of the Episcopal Conference of Paraguay, sent to Fides Agency, the Bishops ask the authorities 'renewed commitment to the faithful duty of their constitutional role, in order to build a fairer society and a better quality of democracy."
The document also contains reflections and analysis of the national situation developed in the last Extraordinary General Meeting of Bishops (num. 195 of August 28, 2012), following the political events of last June (see Fides 23/06/2012), which showed a change in the conduct of the government. "Paraguay is going through a difficult time - the statement says- for someone the country is going through a difficult time, for others, those who look at the future with hope, it is time to ask the leaders of the country prudence, balance, a great sense of responsibility and specific actions to solve the most urgent problems of the population. "The text expresses the willingness of the Church to establish dialogue where there is still no agreement to establish the good of society. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 19/09/2012)
- 2014-10-06 - Thousands of children abused and forced to live on the street
- 2014-09-29 - The natives are victims of poverty and racism
- 2014-09-15 - “Terrorism can never be combatted with terrorism”; local Catholic church denounces military violence
- 2014-07-28 - Thousands of children displaced due to the floods
- 2014-06-04 - Tension among the population of Ñacunday and Saint Lucia
- 2014-05-27 - Isolated due to the rain and without the aid of the authorities, "but we are also Paraguayans", cries the Vicar Apostolic of Chaco Paraguayo
- 2014-04-10 - A march for the freedom of 5 peasants on hunger strike, accused of the Curuguaty massacre
- 2014-03-27 - General strike in the country; the Church supports those demanding justice and social solidarity
- 2014-03-07 - Dialogue between the Church and civil authorities on the problems regarding the population
- 2014-03-06 - The Church calls for "fair justice"