ASIA/NEPAL - About a quarter of the population is extremely poor
Katmandu (Agenzia Fides) - The government of Nepal is working on a program to fight poverty in the country, thanks to which will identify the segment of the population most in need and therefore offer food assistance, health and education. The authorities will deliver a "card" to buy groceries for those who do not have enough to eat. Experts estimate that about a quarter of the population is classified as "extremely poor". Nepal is one of the poorest countries in the world, and to deal with the situation it receives humanitarian aid from various international bodies. According to World Bank estimates, about half of Nepal's 30 million people, live below the poverty line. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 19/09/2012)
- 2015-10-28 - Six months after the earthquake, the work of reconstruction of Caritas continues
- 2015-10-20 - Six months after the earthquake, the country is still a multicoloured patchwork of temporary tarpaulins
- 2015-09-28 - Worrying signs for Christians?
- 2015-09-16 - The Constitution confirms the secular state, extremist groups attack three churches
- 2015-09-08 - Children and teachers do lessons among the rubble of former schools
- 2015-08-01 - Post earthquake aggravates situation of early marriages: 2 out of every 5 girls married before the age of 18
- 2015-07-30 - ASIA/NEPAL – Months after the earthquake prime necessities still needed
- 2015-07-06 - Earthquake: the help of religious congregations
- 2015-06-30 - The aid of Caritas after the earthquake has begun to bear fruit
- 2015-06-27 - Debt relief for Nepal: the IMF says "no"