ASIA/NEPAL - About a quarter of the population is extremely poor
Katmandu (Agenzia Fides) - The government of Nepal is working on a program to fight poverty in the country, thanks to which will identify the segment of the population most in need and therefore offer food assistance, health and education. The authorities will deliver a "card" to buy groceries for those who do not have enough to eat. Experts estimate that about a quarter of the population is classified as "extremely poor". Nepal is one of the poorest countries in the world, and to deal with the situation it receives humanitarian aid from various international bodies. According to World Bank estimates, about half of Nepal's 30 million people, live below the poverty line. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 19/09/2012)
- 2015-03-16 - Nepalese teenagers say no to forced marriage
- 2015-02-14 - Uncertain future after Nepal fails to agree on constitution
- 2014-11-24 - The poor are forced to carry out illegal traficking in organs
- 2014-10-02 - The Apostolic Vicar: "With the Rosary, we will overcome the difficulties"
- 2014-09-01 - Vicar Apostolic tells Religious men and women: mission starts with self-evangelization
- 2014-08-19 - A Christian pastor released from prison, in Tibet
- 2014-06-24 - 40 Christian leaders arrested for "forced conversions": religious freedom at risk
- 2014-06-02 - The new Apostolic Vicar walks "in the light of the Word of God"
- 2014-05-02 - A vigil to announce the new Bishop and pray for reconciliation
- 2014-04-16 - Great joy for 60 newly baptized during the Easter Vigil