AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - Cardinal López Rodríguez denounces violence against women
Santo Domingo (Agenzia Fides) - Cardinal Nicolas de Jesus Lopez Rodriguez, Archbishop of Santo Domingo, publicly denounced the high number of cases of violence against women, and also warned that "this is a symptom that something is very wrong in Dominican society".
"Men lose control and act in a perverse way against their partner. Enough! This must be stopped," the Cardinal told journalists during the presentation of the project "Alas y Gaviotas", which aims to prevent domestic violence and help women victims of abuse.
"No one is master of the lives of others, and men cannot kill women as if nothing has happened ... and who does it, must pay before justice," said the Cardinal during the presentation of the event, which was also attended by the first Lady in the nation, Candida Motilla Medina.
In a note sent to Fides Agency, Cardinal Lopez Rodriguez expressed his willingness to support the initiative, which aims to accommodate couples who live in situations of violence and to accompany them in a personal and couple therapy. The program also includes an awareness campaign in schools. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 15/09/2012)
- 2015-08-04 - “Haiti refuses to help its own emigrants to regularise their status ” Dominican Republic intellectuals claim
- 2015-08-03 - Migrants: Bishops call for definitive solution
- 2015-07-24 - “Working at prevention” can put an end to violence, says Bishop Peña Rodríguez
- 2015-05-29 - The Pope urges us not to be indifferent towards immigrants
- 2015-05-20 - 90% of HIV-positive Dominicans live in extreme poverty
- 2015-05-15 - AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC – Cardinal Rubén Salazar Gómez, Colombian, elected President of CELAM
- 2015-05-04 - The Bishops encourage the President to continue direct contact with people most in need
- 2015-03-16 - Appeal of the Church in the Dominican Republic and Haiti: "Respect the human dignity of migrants"
- 2015-01-28 - Tension on the border with Haiti: appeal to the authorities of both countries
- 2014-10-07 - Requests on behalf of the National Assembly of Pastoral Care: Austerity and solidarity with workers,