AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - Cardinal López Rodríguez denounces violence against women
Santo Domingo (Agenzia Fides) - Cardinal Nicolas de Jesus Lopez Rodriguez, Archbishop of Santo Domingo, publicly denounced the high number of cases of violence against women, and also warned that "this is a symptom that something is very wrong in Dominican society".
"Men lose control and act in a perverse way against their partner. Enough! This must be stopped," the Cardinal told journalists during the presentation of the project "Alas y Gaviotas", which aims to prevent domestic violence and help women victims of abuse.
"No one is master of the lives of others, and men cannot kill women as if nothing has happened ... and who does it, must pay before justice," said the Cardinal during the presentation of the event, which was also attended by the first Lady in the nation, Candida Motilla Medina.
In a note sent to Fides Agency, Cardinal Lopez Rodriguez expressed his willingness to support the initiative, which aims to accommodate couples who live in situations of violence and to accompany them in a personal and couple therapy. The program also includes an awareness campaign in schools. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 15/09/2012)
- 2014-09-23 - Public opinion divided on the request for the withdrawal of UNHCR from the country
- 2014-07-22 - Although some people promote hate, the Church is committed to peaceful coexistence
- 2014-07-07 - Fearless against violence and insecurity, the conclusions of the Bishops’ Assembly
- 2014-07-01 - Still difficulty for many undocumented Haitians
- 2014-06-10 - A motorway to unite the country ... even the Church is moving
- 2014-05-27 - Emergency for public hospitals in the Country
- 2014-05-13 - The number of working children, deprived of education and health care, continues to increase
- 2014-03-12 - Christian Churches committed to education, health and rights of 30 000 children
- 2014-02-07 - Dialogue and collaboration, the only way to solve the common problems of Dominicans and Haitians
- 2013-12-02 - "The Church is ready to mediate", the Nunzio's intervention on the issue of Haitian immigrants