ASIA/EAST TIMOR - "The challenge of the sects, in the horizon of the new evangelization": Meeting of Bishops of the Lusophone countries
Dili (Agenzia Fides) - "The challenge of the sects, in the horizon of the new evangelization" was the theme of the 10th meeting of the representatives of the Episcopal Conferences of Portuguese Language Countries (CPLP), held in Dili (East Timor) from 6 to September 10. It was attended by the Bishops representing the following countries: Angola, Brazil, Cape Verde, Guinea-Bissau, Mozambique, Portugal, Sao Tome and Principe, East Timor, as well as Fr. Maia Joseph, President of Fundação Fe and Cooperação (FEC) and Fr. Morujão Manuel, Secretary of the Portuguese Episcopal Conference.
According to information sent to Fides Agency by the curia of the Diocese of Bissau, analyzing the topic of the meeting it was revealed among other things that sects have a greater impact among Catholics whose faith is not based on a personal encounter with Christ and his ecclesial body, or results in a true initiation to life in Christ. What was also noted was that the Year of Faith is the appropriate occasion to grow in faith, personally and communally, and in his testimony. In sharing the challenges which the Church finds facing various Portuguese-speaking countries, the urgent need for Christians to engage in the promotion of a fair, free and united society, as an inalienable requirement of the faith was highlighted.
The Bishops were received by the President of the Republic, Taur Matan Ruak, in an atmosphere of great cordiality, and by Prime Minister Xanana Gusmao, who illustrated the priorities of his government for the coming years. They then had the opportunity to preside over the Eucharistic celebration in various parishes in and around Dili, attended by a large number of young people. Particularly significant was the Eucharist concelebrated on Sunday, September 9 in the Cathedral of Dili, in thanksgiving for the 450th anniversary of the evangelization of Timor, at the presence of the President of the Republic, the Prime Minister, other members of the government, various authorities and countless faithful.
In the final evaluation it became clear that these meetings are useful for understanding and approaching of Lusophone Churches represented by their Bishops, as well as providing the opportunity to undertake initiatives of collaboration, particularly in the formation of seminarians and support to Catholic radios. (SL) (Agenzia Fides 14/09/2012)
- 2013-04-30 ASIA/EAST TIMOR - The Jesuits: apostolate in prisons in Dili, encouraged by Pope Francis
- 2012-09-14 ASIA/EAST TIMOR - "The challenge of the sects, in the horizon of the new evangelization": Meeting of Bishops of the Lusophone countries
- 2012-04-17 ASIA/EAST TIMOR- New president elected: the challenges are education and development
- 2012-02-25 ASIA/EAST TIMOR-Catholics on the eve of the election: peace, justice, prayer for the country's future
- 2011-06-22 ASIA/EAST TIMOR-The missionaries working in the country have been recognized as "heroes" by Parliament
- 2011-04-18 ASIA / EAST TIMOR - Indonesia also in favour: East Timor approaches ASEAN
- 2010-10-11 ASIA/EAST TIMOR - “Too many” seminarians: a challenge for the month of the missions