AFRICA/CAMEROON - Pan-African Congress of Catholic laity: "Being witnesses of Jesus Christ in Africa Today"
Yaoundé (Agenzia Fides) - The Pan-African Congress of Catholic laity, organized by the Pontifical Council for the Laity brgan yesterday, September 4, in Cameroon, under the theme: " Being witnesses of Jesus Christ in Africa Today: Salt of the earth .. . light of the world (Matthew 5:13-14)." The event, which will end on September 9, is being held at the Catholic University of Central Africa in Yaoundé.
As reported by the Catholic agency CISA, the Congress, which opened with a keynote address by Cardinal Stanislaw Rylko, President of the Pontifical Council for the Laity, brings together the laity and bishops from different geographical and cultural areas in Africa.
Among the topics presented at the Congress: "African lay faithful: salt of the earth and light of a new world according to the Apostolic Exhortation Africae Munus" by Cardinal Peter K. Turkson; "Africa today: social, geopolitical, economic and cultural dimensions" by Professor Marie Thérèse Megue; "Jesus Christ on African soil: priorities, problems and challenges for the Church in Africa" by His Excellency Bishop Barthélemy Adoukonou, Secretary of the Pontifical Council for Culture.
His Exc. Mgr. Josef Clemens, Secretary of the Pontifical Council for the Laity, will discuss the "vocation and mission of lay faithful," while Cardinal Robert Sarah, President of the Pontifical Council Cor Unum, will discuss the topic "Education and formation of the lay faithful in Africa." (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 05/09/2012)
- 2014-07-16 - Insecurity caused by Boko Haram: The Church promotes a day of prayer
- 2014-06-27 - An alleged kidnapper of the Italian missionaries and Canadian nun has been arrested
- 2014-06-02 - Missionaries released: "A grace of God and a time of joy for the Church", said Cardinal Filoni who met them
- 2014-05-30 - VATICAN – A Church which is dynamic, lively and growing, despite difficulties: Cardinal Filoni meets the Bishops and priests of Cameroon
- 2014-05-30 - VATICAN – A hundred years after the Evangelization of Bamenda: deepen your faith and renew your missionary commitment urges Cardinal Filoni
- 2014-05-27 - 100 years of evangelization in Bamenda: "We aim at the inculturation of faith and human promotion", says the Archbishop
- 2014-05-05 - The Bishops of Cameroon : "We pray for the speedy and unconditional release of the kidnapped missionaries"
- 2014-04-10 - There is growing concern about the influx of refugees from Central Africa
- 2014-04-07 - No contact with the kidnappers, Boko Haram could probably be behind the kidnapping
- 2014-01-03 - Fr. Georges Vandenbeusch welcomed in France by his parishioners