AMERICA/PARAGUAY - Alert for the risk of a dengue epidemic
Asunción (Agenzia Fides) - The Paraguayan health authorities have warned the country about the risk of a serious outbreak of dengue. According to data reported by the Directorate for Health Control, the majority of cases have occurred in the areas of Asunción and Central. Since the beginning of 2012, 39,946 reported cases have been registered, 90% of which have been confirmed: that is, 28,838. Over the last week 38 cases with initial symptoms have been reported, 5% less than the previous week. 71% of these always come from the west central area, in particular, with 15 cases in Central and 11 in Asunción. There is a need to raise awareness among citizens and municipalities to intensify the fight against the disease; to clean permanent sites and fallow land; to eliminate items no longer in use. The breeding places of the vector are mainly found in homes and must be removed to prevent a relapse of the disease next summer. In the last outbreak this year 60 people died. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 29/08/2012)
- 2015-07-20 - "Why are we so inhuman towards each other?" Asks Mgr. Gimenez denouncing violence
- 2015-06-18 - AMERICA/PARAGUAY – Urgent need to eradicate child labor, which is dangerous and harmful to physical and mental development
- 2015-05-15 - Archbishop Valenzuela Mellid: "We all have to be responsible in carrying out our duties"
- 2015-05-07 - The Church condemns the criminal violence that killed three people and a politician
- 2015-04-27 - Indigenous people live in poverty but maintain their traditions
- 2015-03-04 - The appeal of 450 thousand working children: "We do not want to be exploited"
- 2014-12-09 - On the feast day of Our Lady of Caacupé bishop denounces corruption and drug trafficking
- 2014-12-04 - Paraguayan Missionaries join fellow Paraguayans in Argentina to celebrate Our Lady of Caacupé
- 2014-12-01 - Novena to Our Lady of Caacupé, opportunity to reflect on the rights of the defenseless and the responsibilities of politicians
- 2014-11-25 - The Church is not discouraged because of the drug trade, it will continue to fight for justice and peace