AFRICA/ETHIOPIA - In the district of Gambo one hospital for 100,000 people
Gambo (Agenzia Fides) - In the province of West Arsi, 245 kilometers southeast of Addis Ababa, the capital of Ethiopia, the Missionaries of the Consolata manage the general rural Hospital in Gambo. Founded in 1922 by the Capuchin friars, in 1975 it went to the Missionaries of the Consolata, who care for patients who have AIDS, tuberculosis, malaria, malnourished children, women with the consequences of genital mutilation, and also deal with many other diseases so-called forgotten of which a billion people worldwide suffer. One hospital for 100,000 inhabitants of the district where almost exclusively local medical personnel work. This is one of the centers selected by the Ethiopian Ministry of Health which is involved in all health programs that are launched in the African country, among these the control of tuberculosis and leprosy, prevention and diagnosis of AIDS, treatment for malnutrition, childhood vaccinations and pregnancy.
The hospital, before being what it is today, was a leper colony. As the last vestiges of its origin, in the neighborhood adjacent land it is still reserved for lepers, that the Consolata missionaries had built to accommodate all those who were marginalized because of the disease and that, because of extreme poverty in which they lived, did not have the opportunity to be treated in time. The health center works with the help of international organizations like the Catholic Spanish Manos Unidas which also here promotes its campaign "La Salud derecho de todos: ¡Actua." According to the World Health Organization the pandemic is present in 114 countries. Each year, it continues to make more than 2 million disabled people. If diagnosed in the early stages it is easily cured with antibiotics. Incubation lasts about 5 years but symptoms may be delayed up to 20 years before appearing. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 24/7/2012)
- 2015-01-09 - Cardinal-designate Souraphiel: "I will work for the Church so that it obtains the observer status in the African Union"
- 2014-12-11 - "I saw the urgency of the first evangelization with my own eyes" says a Fidei Donum priest
- 2014-12-02 - A more functional school for 4000 children in one of the poorest regions of the Country
- 2014-08-11 - Blessing of the nutritional and educational center in the Somali region of the Country
- 2014-07-05 - AFRICA/ETHIOPIA – Healthcare and mobile school services for nomad pastoralists
- 2014-06-27 - Poverty and hunger, the consequences of an unjust economic system
- 2014-05-27 - AFRICA/ETHIOPIA – More support and availability for 15 million children, adults and elders with disabilities
- 2014-05-22 - Project for defeating forms of avoidable blindness affecting millions of Ethiopians
- 2014-05-19 - AFRICA/ETHIOPIA – Missionary children evangelize their peers with the first Bible in Oromo language
- 2014-05-16 - Drinking water to save refugees and children from death and disease