AFRICA/ZAMBIA - 60% of health services in rural areas is managed by the Catholic Church
Lusaka (Agenzia Fides) - The V Congress of the Anglophone African Region of CICIAMS (International Catholic Committee of Nurses and Social-Medical Assistants) started yesterday in Lusaka.
The opening speech of the works was carried out by the Apostolic Nuncio in Lusaka, His Exc. Mgr. Julio Murat, and the Zambian Ministry of Health, Dr. Kasonde, who spoke on behalf of the Government. In his speech, the Minister thanked the Catholic Church for her commitment in the health care field: in this regard he also stated that 60% of health services available in rural areas exists thanks to the catholic Church. He expressed the will of the Zambian government to continue to cooperate with the Church in this area, very important for the Country. Among those who intervened: Mgr. Jean Marie Mate Musivi Mupendawatu, Secretary of the Pontifical Council for Health Pastoral Care, who spoke in front of more than 300 nurses and Catholic nurses from various Anglophone countries: Zambia, Zimbabwe, Nigeria, Malawi, Kenya, Tanzania , South Africa, USA, Scotland and Ireland. On Monday, June 25 the Secretary of the Pontifical Council, accompanied by the Bishop in charge of the Pastoral of Health and the Zambian National Coordinator of the Pastoral of Health, Sister Matilda Mubanga, had visited several Catholic health facilities in Lusaka, among them the new hospital of the Catholic Bishops Conference of Zambia, Cardinal Adams Memorial Hospital, St. Francis Zambian-Italian Orthopedix Hospital for disabled Children, and Our Lady's Hospice Kalingalinga that deals with those infected with HIV-AIDS. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 28/6/2012)
- 2014-10-13 - "We are greatly concerned about the well-being of the President" say civil society
- 2014-04-08 - Almost 40% of infant mortality rate is due to malaria
- 2014-03-10 - Support to give strength to the women of Chisitu
- 2014-02-21 - AFRICA/ZAMBIA – Let's fulfill the aspirations of those who fought for the independence of building a more just Country
- 2014-01-25 - Bishops: "Respect democracy"
- 2014-01-09 - After 50 years of independence a proper Constitution focused on popular sovereignty is needed
- 2013-10-02 - "Do we still have a functioning state? " Asks Caritas
- 2013-09-16 - The right to a better education, better teachers and beautiful classrooms
- 2013-08-31 - AFRICA/ZAMBIA – Death of Cardinal Mazombwe, Archbishop Emeritus of Lusaka
- 2013-08-02 - Mothers manage the first kindergarten in the Chipata area