AMERICA/PARAGUAY - President Lugo disqualified, Bishops’ appeal for peace
Asunción (Agenzia Fides) - "Given the serious political crisis that the Republic is experiencing, as Bishops of Paraguay, we turn to the representatives of the government and all citizens to express once again our exhortation to peace and the safeguarding of human life as a supreme value ". With these words, spread in a statement sent to Fides agency, the Bishops of Paraguay invite to maintain social peace and order in the country.
The decision of the Congress to initiate impeachment for the President of the Republic, Fernando Lugo, has provoked, in fact, a situation of tension between the population in the capital.
"We call on political leaders, social organizations, trade unions and the people to keep calm and to avoid any confrontation and violence, which jeopardize integrity and people's lives," reads the text.
The Bishops have decided to launch this appeal because many farmers took to the streets and part of the population already speaks of "coup". The Senate, yesterday, June 22 voted for the impeachment of the President motivating the measure taken with the recent clashes between police and farmers in the area of Curuguatay where, due to a matter of land possession, 17 people died (see fides 18/06/2012). Federico Franco, vice president, was sworn in as new president of Paraguay. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 23/6/2012)
- 2015-07-20 - "Why are we so inhuman towards each other?" Asks Mgr. Gimenez denouncing violence
- 2015-06-18 - AMERICA/PARAGUAY – Urgent need to eradicate child labor, which is dangerous and harmful to physical and mental development
- 2015-05-15 - Archbishop Valenzuela Mellid: "We all have to be responsible in carrying out our duties"
- 2015-05-07 - The Church condemns the criminal violence that killed three people and a politician
- 2015-04-27 - Indigenous people live in poverty but maintain their traditions
- 2015-03-04 - The appeal of 450 thousand working children: "We do not want to be exploited"
- 2014-12-09 - On the feast day of Our Lady of Caacupé bishop denounces corruption and drug trafficking
- 2014-12-04 - Paraguayan Missionaries join fellow Paraguayans in Argentina to celebrate Our Lady of Caacupé
- 2014-12-01 - Novena to Our Lady of Caacupé, opportunity to reflect on the rights of the defenseless and the responsibilities of politicians
- 2014-11-25 - The Church is not discouraged because of the drug trade, it will continue to fight for justice and peace