AMERICA/PARAGUAY - President Lugo disqualified, Bishops’ appeal for peace
Asunción (Agenzia Fides) - "Given the serious political crisis that the Republic is experiencing, as Bishops of Paraguay, we turn to the representatives of the government and all citizens to express once again our exhortation to peace and the safeguarding of human life as a supreme value ". With these words, spread in a statement sent to Fides agency, the Bishops of Paraguay invite to maintain social peace and order in the country.
The decision of the Congress to initiate impeachment for the President of the Republic, Fernando Lugo, has provoked, in fact, a situation of tension between the population in the capital.
"We call on political leaders, social organizations, trade unions and the people to keep calm and to avoid any confrontation and violence, which jeopardize integrity and people's lives," reads the text.
The Bishops have decided to launch this appeal because many farmers took to the streets and part of the population already speaks of "coup". The Senate, yesterday, June 22 voted for the impeachment of the President motivating the measure taken with the recent clashes between police and farmers in the area of Curuguatay where, due to a matter of land possession, 17 people died (see fides 18/06/2012). Federico Franco, vice president, was sworn in as new president of Paraguay. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 23/6/2012)
- 2014-10-06 - Thousands of children abused and forced to live on the street
- 2014-09-29 - The natives are victims of poverty and racism
- 2014-09-15 - “Terrorism can never be combatted with terrorism”; local Catholic church denounces military violence
- 2014-07-28 - Thousands of children displaced due to the floods
- 2014-06-04 - Tension among the population of Ñacunday and Saint Lucia
- 2014-05-27 - Isolated due to the rain and without the aid of the authorities, "but we are also Paraguayans", cries the Vicar Apostolic of Chaco Paraguayo
- 2014-04-10 - A march for the freedom of 5 peasants on hunger strike, accused of the Curuguaty massacre
- 2014-03-27 - General strike in the country; the Church supports those demanding justice and social solidarity
- 2014-03-07 - Dialogue between the Church and civil authorities on the problems regarding the population
- 2014-03-06 - The Church calls for "fair justice"