AFRICA/COTE D'IVOIRE - Mobile Libraries for orphaned and vulnerable children due to HIV/AIDS
Abidjan (Agenzia Fides) - The activity of mobile libraries for orphaned and vulnerable children due to HIV/AIDS and for youth in situations of conflict has just been launched in Abidjan. The project, sponsored by the Association of Volunteers for the International Service (AVSI), aims to facilitate access to reading to children thanks to wooden mobile libraries, locally made, lightweight but strong, easy to carry by hand. We are talking about 225 libraries, each containing 35 books for the young readers, which have been distributed in the Ivory Coast to 46 local NGOs and 6 state centers. The libraries will be available in different neighborhoods, schools, even the most remote or difficult to reach, in slums and poor areas of the capital. The Ministry of Family, is what is read in a note sent to Fides by AVSI, believes in this humanitarian initiative and recognizes the undeniable importance of education and learning for children, future of a nation. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 08/06/2012)
- 2014-05-07 - Twelve thousand children work as slaves on cocoa farms
- 2014-03-28 - New program for social integration and peace education
- 2012-08-06 - At least 6 people killed in an assault on a police station in Abidjan
- 2012-07-12 - "No to the cultural leveling, yes to the rediscovery of the richness of African culture," said Cardinal Sarr
- 2012-06-14 - Still deaths in the West, "There are too many weapons in circulation" reports the Bishop of Man
- 2012-06-11 - Civilians fleeing the south-west after the killing of 7 "Blue Helmets"
- 2012-06-08 - Mobile Libraries for orphaned and vulnerable children due to HIV/AIDS
- 2012-01-31 - The newly formed Regional Episcopal Conference of West Africa (RECOWA-CERAO)
- 2012-01-24 - The Prefect of the Congregation for the Evangelization of Peoples (CEP), Archbishop Filoni, to the Bishops of Western Africa: "to live fully, and in truth, an effective and affective pastoral solidarity"
- 2011-12-16 - Victory of the President’s coalition