AFRICA/COTE D'IVOIRE - Mobile Libraries for orphaned and vulnerable children due to HIV/AIDS
Abidjan (Agenzia Fides) - The activity of mobile libraries for orphaned and vulnerable children due to HIV/AIDS and for youth in situations of conflict has just been launched in Abidjan. The project, sponsored by the Association of Volunteers for the International Service (AVSI), aims to facilitate access to reading to children thanks to wooden mobile libraries, locally made, lightweight but strong, easy to carry by hand. We are talking about 225 libraries, each containing 35 books for the young readers, which have been distributed in the Ivory Coast to 46 local NGOs and 6 state centers. The libraries will be available in different neighborhoods, schools, even the most remote or difficult to reach, in slums and poor areas of the capital. The Ministry of Family, is what is read in a note sent to Fides by AVSI, believes in this humanitarian initiative and recognizes the undeniable importance of education and learning for children, future of a nation. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 08/06/2012)
- 2015-11-13 - Launch of "Ecclesia TV", Catholic television in the Ivory Coast
- 2015-10-23 - AFRICA/COTE D’IVOIRE – Presidential election: religious leaders call for calm
- 2015-05-12 - The Bishops urge to "work for reconciliation in view of elections"
- 2015-01-28 - In view of the elections there is growing concern for children abducted for macabre rituals
- 2015-01-27 - The Bishops denounce: "Ivorian society is sick at a spiritual and moral level"
- 2014-10-14 - 30% of children between 10 and 14 years of age have been sexually abused
- 2014-09-22 - Refugees in Liberia blocked due to Ebola
- 2014-09-18 - "The Church has to monitor society so that it does not go adrift", says the President of the Episcopal Conference
- 2014-05-07 - Twelve thousand children work as slaves on cocoa farms
- 2014-03-28 - New program for social integration and peace education