AFRICA/GUINEA BISSAU - Uncertain situation in Bissau after a coup attempt
Bissau (Agenzia Fides) - "This morning the situation is calm, even if the radios are closed and do not transmit. It is therefore difficult to obtain reliable information " say to Fides local sources from Bissau, capital of Guinea Bissau, where last night a group of soldiers attempted a coup.
"At the moment there are no clashes. There were some yesterday in front of the residence of Prime Minister Carlos Domingos Gomes Junior. At the moment we do not know what has happened to the Premier: some sources say he has been arrested by the military coup, while others say that he may be hidden. But it is very difficult to obtain reliable information ", conclude our sources, which for security reasons wish to remain anonymous.
The coup leaders said they had arrested several members of the government. Gomes Junior was running in the second round of presidential elections, scheduled on April 29, against the opposition leader Kumba Yala, but he said it wanted to boycott the vote because of irregularities in the first round. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 13/4/2012)
- 2014-06-24 - Control and prevent outbreaks of cholera with a highly effective oral vaccine
- 2014-06-05 - Ebola outbreak in West Africa
- 2014-03-29 - Outbreak of Ebola: "There is no treatment or vaccine, the priority is to isolate suspected cases"
- 2014-03-06 - AFRICA/GUINEA – A campaign to vaccinate 400,000 children against measles
- 2014-02-04 - AFRICA/GUINEA – Guinea: a new African hub for cocaine destined to Europe?
- 2012-12-19 - A new strain of cholera continues to increase infection
- 2012-12-10 - "Mary, help us grow in faith": thousands of faithful to the Marian pilgrimage in Cacheu
- 2012-04-13 - Uncertain situation in Bissau after a coup attempt
- 2011-12-13 - Cholera cases are reduced thanks to enhanced prevention
- 2011-10-03 - President Condé urges the opposition to dialogue after the serious incidents of September 27